fuel pump bad? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 01, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Question

Have a 68 camaro SS clone. Unfortunately, don't know the complete history of what's been done. Please bear with me, I don't know cr*p about this.

When we bought the car, the guy was showing us how you can hear the fuel pump when you turn the ignition to the accessories position - electric fuel pump, right?

The reason I ask is that when I started the car to go somewhere today, this REALLY LOUD "chatter" sound started coming from the rear of the car and continued even when I started driving. Initially, I thought it was a mechanical vibration, but couldn't find anything. A short distance from the house, the car stalled out as I slowed to take a turn and wouldn't start again unless I held the gas pedal all the way to the floor; even then it had to be cranked for a few seconds to catch. To get it back home, I had to put it in neutral and rev to couple thousand rpm everytime I slowed down to keep the car from stalling. Also, the fuel filter has almost no fuel in it, as opposed to normally being 1/2 to 2/3 filled.

Does this sound like a bad pump? bad relay? both?

When I trace the line from the carburetor, it looks like it still goes thru the mechanical pump (small housing, looks like it has a diaphragm in it, low on the side of the engine?). Is this normally done?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge that is shared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 01, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech

This is a long shot. The mechanical fuel pump is something to check out. Pull the dip stick and try to tell if you smell gas, or change the oil and see if you smell gas. A long time ago the diaphram in my mechanical pump went bad and gas leaked into the oil. I had the same symptoms as you.

[This message has been edited by Silver69 (edited 12-03-2001).]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 01, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech

If you have an Electric Fuel pump there should be no Mechanical Fuel pump connected in the fuel line at all, Should be a Block off plate on the engine where the Mech. pump installs. Check under the car along the frame rails for an Electric Fuel pump.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 01, 04:30 PM

Sounds like the float needle in your carb is stuck causing the engine to flood out. This is why it will not idle.Here is how you might fix it right easy. Disable electric pump by pulling fuse. disconect fuel line on tank side of mech. pump and plug line. Start engine and run until it runs out of fuel. Hook every thing back up and resart. Any dirt under needle should wash out. (if you are lucky). Hope this helps.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 01, 05:49 PM

nasadude, it sounds like a bad electric fuel pump you really need someone to look at the car and figure out whats up with the setup, not sure why its using the electric and mech.
pump. BTW-if you want to e-mail me i have a shop in MD i may be able to help you out.

------------------
chris
1980 Z/28
350 .60 over stock bottom end world products torker2s 280H compcam edel.performer rpm,holly 750 dual feed.
2200 stall,- but still not done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode