Vibrations - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to sportdude854
Unhappy

I've got a problem with vibrations at speeds over 75 mph. I have an 87 Iroc-Z 350 TPI and anytime i go over 75 the whole car seems to vibrate when it slows back down to 70. I just had the transmission rebuilt and was wondering what would make it shake like that. The front end was just worked on so everythings all set up there. Maybe the driveshaft got knicked when i took it out or the rearend has problems. i have no clue. Also, when i put the car into gear from park, it tends to jump, whether it be reverse or drive. maybe somethings just loose and causing both problems. i have no idea. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 07:37 AM

First and foremost, welcome to the site. You came to the right place for help.

What about tire balance? A bent rim? As far as the tranny is concerned, I have no clue. Check the levels (to cure the "jumping") and hook an analyzer up to her and see if it throws out any codes. Did you have any type of shift kit installed with the rebuild? What kind of trans is it? 700R4, 200R or did someone put in a t-350/400? Since you had the trans out of the car maybe it wouldn't hurt to check if everything is aligned properly. Maybe even go so far as to balance the shaft. Did you replace the stock trans mount? Sounds like a nice car nonetheless. Haven't seen too many 350 TPI's out there. I know that they exist but it's not easy to find them. No t-tops right?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I vote driveshaft. Check the u-joints. If they let a few needle bearings fall out, this is exactly what you could expect. Also check the output shaft/yoke for any movement.

-Mark.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 01:30 AM
Senior Tech
Marc

yes i got that drive shaft issue. I even almost lost my driveshaft as 1 bolt of the u bolt untighted !

also check your wheel equilibrum

Camaro 1968, propane 327ci, Big Brake, Hotchkis, T56
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to sportdude854
Lightbulb

The trans is a 700R4 and it's bone stock. i would like to install a shift kit...but i'm going to be selling the car soon. I'd just like to fix the vibration problem. I didn't replace the stock trans mount..should i? And you said something about balancing...how would i balance the driveline? where could i take it to have that done? There are no t-tops....but the previous owner had a sunroof installed. As far as the driveshaft ujoints go...i replaced both of them when i replaced the trans..so they're brand new. I'm not sure about a bent rim....but it doesn't seem like they're bent at all...they run true...oh well....thanks for the help anyway...if there's anything else i could really use all the help i could get..thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode