the 700r4 tranny........ - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 02, 06:08 AM
bigboyp4

well, first i have a '85 camaro ex 2.8l mpfi with a 700r4 tranny. that tranny i had a electric overdrive. i got tired of that engine (it sucked) so i put a 305 in it. ohh man....power! but ne ways i had to get a tranny to bolt up to the v8. i ended up with another 700r4 out of a '91 caprice. i put my v6 700r4 tailshaft on it and it bolted and pluged right in. now heres the question, i want to know how i can get my tranny to shift into overdrive. i have 3 wires coming out of it. i would assume that if i were to give power to one or some of them it would shift but.....i dont know. anyone ever solve this problem without buying a $100 kit. i dont see why i would need the kit if the computer can do it, why cant i? anyinfo would be great.....thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 02, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech

it doesn't shift into overdrive electronically, the computer only tells the torque converter when to lock up. i read somewhere- on this site, perhaps- about what parts to buy to make it lockup on it's own without a lockup kit, but can't remember whaere for sure. it was a while ago.
if it isn't shifting into overdrive, you have a problem. the linkage might be out of adjustment, or there is something with the valve body. the tv cable might be adjusted wrong. it might just be starting out in second gear, also. first gear in the 700r4 is pretty steep- almost like the "granny gear" in a truck stick shift tranny. if you are starting in first gear, you will know it.
if the computer is still hooked up and functional, then you might have a bad temp sensor on the engine- it won't lockup the converter until the engine warms up. i just put a temp sensor in my 94 Caprice that was getting crappy fuel economy and not locking up the converter- the $21 sensor fixed that really quick and easy.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 02, 06:40 AM
bigboyp4

im sorry, i meant it wouldnt lock up. the computer is still hooked up but not to an engine. i put a 305 carbed in it so i doubt if the computers gonna lock it up. i just thought that i could apply voltage to some of the wires and make it lock up. thanks

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 02, 02:22 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
If the computer is still in there, and connected to the tranny, you can use the diagnostic plug under the drivers side dash to lock up the converter. I just can't remember which ones you have to jump to lock it up.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 02, 05:07 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
My 700r4 came out of an 86 Z and I don't think it was electronicly controled... Give the folks at www.700r4.com a call they can get you going in the right direction. They specialize in helping the do it yourself

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 02, 03:03 PM
bigboyp4

well, if you would remember the pins on the diagnostic connector that would be awesome, but if u dont, i dont have a good memory so i wont hold it against me. the tranny is out of a 91 caprice, but the origional 700r4 to the car had the same wiring connector, thats how i was able to plug it in. the 700r4 page sells a kit, but i really dont see paying 70 for a kit if i could find a way to lock it up. it seems very possible since theres only 3 wires,not too complicated but im not willing to bust the tranny over it. but ne ways i looked under the car and theres no way i can get the #'s off of it under the car, my exhaust prevents that. well, thanks for the replys, keep em comin

Jeff
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 02, 01:58 AM
Senior Tech

Let me try to find it for ya. You don't have a Haynes manual or anything do you? I think there might be a description of the diagnostic plug in there.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 02, 01:26 PM
Team Member

try www.thegrid.net/thedrivetrainpage/700r4.htm

there is information and P/N's for the wiring

TTFN
Mat
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 03:14 AM
Senior Tech

Do this at your own risk. I've done it on my car to test my converter, and it worked fine for me, but I am unsure if there are any negative reprocussions of doing this. I can only guess that this is essentially what the kits do, but this is a quicker (yet probably less acceptable) method of doing the same thing.

There should be a plug with 12 terminals, each letter below represents a terminal.

F E D C B A
G H _ _ _ M

While you are cruising in over drive, and under light throttle, jump a wire between terminals "A" and "F" above. This should activate the solenoid that locks up the torque converter, provided that the computer is still getting power, and the 4 prong plug that goes into the tranny is connected. What you are doing is grounding the torque converter lock up solenoid (terminal "F") to a body ground (terminal "A").

Let me know what you come up with.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

[This message has been edited by Spames (edited 06-05-2002).]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 03:30 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
The best I can tell about mine is it has 1 wire coming off the 4 prong plug that goes to a batt source that's hot when the key is on.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 03:13 PM
bigboyp4

hey, thanks, im going for a drive right now to test it. thanks again

Jeff

------------------
'85 Camaro
Ex 2.8l MPFI
Edelbrock Intake
Hooker SuperComp Longtube
Mufflex Y pipe
3" Flowmaster Cat-Back that sounds AWESOME

ajracing.cjb.net
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 02, 03:31 PM
bigboyp4

thanks a million spames, IT WORKS! well, im gonna rig up a switch and run it till i dont work, then ill have to buy a kit. but this works, your a lifesaver.
thanks
Jeff

------------------
'85 Camaro
Ex 2.8l MPFI
Edelbrock Intake
Hooker SuperComp Longtube
Mufflex Y pipe
3" Flowmaster Cat-Back that sounds AWESOME

ajracing.cjb.net
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 02, 03:16 AM
Senior Tech

Good, glad it worked. Just make sure you use it wisely, or you could fry your converter.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode