Engin Knock/Ping? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Question

My Chevy 350 (1995) is making a tapping sound when accelerating. The noise seems to be coming from the driver side just under the gas pedal area. It sounds like a metalic noise as if a screwdriver were being tapped againt the exhaust pipe. It can only be heard when accelerating and is most noticable between 1100 and 1800 RPM's. It doesn't seem to matter if I accelerate rapidly or very slowly. As soon as I let off the gas, the noise goes away. I have had it looked at by two Chevy dealer service shops and a few independent repair shops. I even had a transmission shop check the transmission. So far, no one has been able to identify the cause. I have checked the exhaust system for leaks and even the flex plate for cracks. Could it be a timing problem? The timing is set at 0 degrees TDC per specs. What range can I expect to see in timing advance with an electronic ignition? It seems to jump completely off the scale when I rev the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 04:54 AM
Tech Team

I have that same exact noise too. On the driver's side also. It only happens when I accelerate. I notice it does it more when going up a hill. If you find out what it is please let me know. My e-mail address is [email protected] Good luck! I hope you find out what it is.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Probably is the exhaust pipe hitting against the floorboard.

1. Aftermarket exhaust system installed without enough clearance when made.
2. Could also be a broken engine mount on drvr side. Raise hood, apply hard brake pedal, put into forward gear, give alittle gas, if engine rolls up from mount, mount is broken.
3. Could be an exhaust leak, very small one.
4. Could also be the piezoelectric senser used for "hearing" the engine knock(pinging). Attach timing light, watch timing marks with t/light, tap block with hammer, t/marks should retard in timing, then return when hammering stops.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode