ABS INOP Light - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I have a 1994 V6 3.4 ltr Camaro, I am having a problem with my break ABS INOP light. It came on yesterday and so I shut the car off and turned it back. Not even a mile down the road it came back on again. I've noticed that every now and then when I apply the breaks, usually right after I start the car, that if I barely even apply them, the car will come to a complete stop. I usually just have to really slowly apply them when this does this so I don't feel like I slammed the breaks on. Is this something I need the dealer to look at or can I just have my dad fix it? I really don't want to pay hundreds of dollars at the dealership. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech

you better check the fuse for ABS first, then check the brake fluid, then take it to the dealer.

a few hundred bux is better than several thousand for leg replacement surgery and a facelift after you smash someone.

------------------

Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 07:55 PM

Unhappy

Hello there Jenn,

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!! I just had the exact same thing happen to my 1996 Z28. My ABS light would be on and everytime I came to a complete stop the light would go off and then once I started driveing the ABS light would come back on. My LOW TRAC, and BRAKE, lights would also flash every once and a while. https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum5/HTML/001035.html paste that in your address maybe it will help. I accualy took mine to two dealers and they both said that it was the ABS Modual. Hopefully that is not whats wrong with yours becuase the cost without labor is $880.00!!! I found one from a junk yard for $300.00 but I'm going to try and take a look at it to see if I can fix it myself. I will let you know if I am successfull. Hoped that helped. Heres my Email if you have any other questions. [email protected]

Sincerely
Dave Valentino

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Exclamation

Thank you for the reply. I made an appointment to get it hooked up to a diagnostic test for this coming Wednesday. There are a couple other things I want them to check. For some reason my windshield wipers won't go down. They look like they are on the position when you have it set on mist...just sitting about 4 inches above where they are supposed to lie at. I went to turn them off one day and they never went back to where they were supposed be. Anyway, sometimes when I start my car they will go down. So, my dad thinks I may have a vacum leak. I'm not sure...but I figure this diagnostic test will see what the deal is. Right? This car is about to just go to crap on me I think. My dad is the only one who really works on my car because we don't trust anyone else unless it is a major deal.

It has almost 130,000 on it. I am waiting for my torque converter to go out so I can just get my transmission replaced. My torque converter has been screwing up for almost a year now...so I was advised to just let it go out before I got it replaced.

I will check out the link. Yeah..let me know what happens with your car. The mechanics told me that if it is the module, they told me it would be pretty expensive. Darn it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cool

Okay, I got my car hooked to a diagnostic. All that was wrong with is was a couple light bulbs were out and they replaced it, now the ABS INOP light hasn't came on since. So, it is no big job after all. Phew...thank goodness!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode