95 Z28 cranks but wont turn over - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
jim

95 Z28 cranks but wont turn over

Hi all...my first time here. I have a problem with my 95 Z28. I purchased the car a couple of months ago with 80,000 miles on it. It ran well, except for being a little sluggish at lower rpm's and at idle. I took the car yesterday and had a new fuel filter put in, and the fuel system cleaned. Car ran much better when i picked it up, but when I went to start it today....nothing. It just keeps cranking, but wont fire over. Could these guys have done something wrong? The car used to turn over on the first crank every time, and now nothing. I cant even get it running to take it back so they can check it out. Any suggestions of anything I can try? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 07:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Re: 95 Z28 cranks but wont turn over

Jim,

usually when someone says the car will crank it means the engine will turn over when you hit the key. If it will crank over but won't fire up then usually people will say it won't start.

I'm not familiar with the later model cars when it comes to trouble shooting, but check the easy (and cheap) stuff first....like battery connections, grounds, fuses, and if the car has fuel injection look around the injectors and throttle body for any loose or unconnected wires.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
jim

I apologize for my wording. Yes, the motor cranks over, but car wont start...only since I had a new fuel filter and fuel system cleaning done. Car used to start up right away before having these things done. Wont start at all now.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 07:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

It's probably something simple. Have you checked to see if there is fuel getting to the engine when it is cranking over?

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
jim

I didnt have time today, I was leaving for work. Could the guys that worked on it have accidentally unhooked something? Car was fine before this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 10:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Anything is possible. Check the easy first. It takes four things for it to run. Compression, Timing, fuel and spark. You drove it to where you parked it so I doubt that it's compression or timing. so check spark and fuel first. Pull a plug wire from a spark plug and hold it 1/4 inch from a good ground while someone craks car you should see a nice blue spark. if not try another wire. if no spark you'll need to check the ignition system further. if you have pull a plug or 2 and look to see if they are wet with gas and condition of electrode. if not wet with gas try to determine if fuel pump is running and then see if you have fuel at injectors. Ask more questions here as you figure things out.

Jeff
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
jim

Thanks for the help. Now, the car was running ok before i took it to have the fuel filter replaced as well as the fuel system cleaned. could they have not reconnected something right? its always started on the first crank, until i had this work done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode