white smoke (not camaro related) - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Hi, I just went and looked at a 91 chevy 1500 scottsdale shortbed,.. with the 4.3 liter v 6 - he's selling it for 4,000 , it has a tiny spot of body rust and underneath it is a little rusty ,. but nothing serious. the thing im worried about is, a little bit of white smoke comes out of the exhaust, i didnt think to smell it,. so im not sure if its antifreeze,- the guy said that chevy trucks tend to have a little white smoke, - other than a head gasket,. what could it be? and what would be most likely,. its not a lot smoke,. just a little,- it runs real good, i'd like to buy it,- i just dont want to find out its something very serious. and just out of curiosity how much would a head gasket cost??-- i think i would be able to put it on myself. thanks for the help.
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Nick, I'd say if it just smokes a little on startup, its probably valve guide/seal wear. If it clears up, I'd say keep an eye on your oil level and enjoy the truck....a lot of high mileage engines do that and have a lot of life left in them...good luck...Don http://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs/
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

yes,. but if it was valve guide seals wouldnt it be oil burning,. - then wouldnt it be bluish smoke,- it was white,. and continue'd to smoke,... like i said though,.. it was a very small amount, could just need a new head gasket, i dont know- i think im gonna get it,... but still if anyone knows what it is i'd like to know,. thnx

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Yes I'm saying it still could be oil burning. Small amounts of burning oil can be white. we are just talking about a few drops on top of the pistons that ran down the open valve. if it was a head gasket, you would know it. Coolant burning looks more like steam than smoke..Yes, burning oil can look white. http://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs/
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

thank you very much,... sounds logical,-- do you know how hard, and expensive this would be to fix,... and if i go without fixing it for a while,... will it hurt my engine?.. thank you very much,
Nick
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Nick, the valve seals arent all that bad to change (in the truck). You'll need shop air, a compression tester hose, (remove core) and a spring compressor. Do one at a time, followed by valve adjustment. Normally it takes a pro about 2 hours. Good luck! I've seen that LOTS of times on the Chevy. Don http://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs/
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 01, 03:53 AM
Senior Tech
David

ZZ430 is right, leaking valve seals are almost"standard equipment" on the 4.3 chevy engine with any miles at all, no big deal though.

------------------
67 RS
355, SUPER T10 4 SPD
9" FORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode