2000 Dakota overheated - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 02, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
My daily driver overheated sitting in a parking lot the other day. It went up over 250 (it usually runs around 200). I got it moving, and turned the heater on, and it went back down to normal range. Got home, left it sit in the driveway, and it overheated again. Drove it around the block, cooled it off, let it sit again, and it went up to 210, but didn't jump too high like it did earler. The electric fan works, and the clutch fan seems to be working, although it isn't turning very fast. Could it be my radiator cap?

Thanks for any help with this one.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 02, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech

Your clutch fan sounds like the culprit. Try this test when it starts getting warm and you shut the car off you should not be able to turn the fan freely if you can that meant the thermostatic spring in the frt of the fan is not working properly. In addition if you see any dampness at the frt of the fan hub then its trashed!(the viscous coupling fluid's leaked out)

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
80 z28 Camaro 355ci
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 02, 08:10 AM

You might want to check the thermostat too. I once worked on a Grand Am that had the same problem. When I took the thermostat out I noticed it was broken. If you have not changed it out in a while change it out. Check to see if the radiator is full too. And I don't know if you can see the lower radiator hose, but if they are old sometimes they close up and cause overheating problems.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 02, 02:57 PM

I work at a Jeep dealer, and we have LOTS of problems with the relays for the electric fan going bad. I not too sure about a Dakota but I would imagine if it has a 4.7L in it it's problem the same relay. If your truck has an electric fan....check the relay, GOOD LUCK !!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 02, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
Thanks guys-

I had no problems overheating yesterday, but I got a new radiator cap anyhow. The fan clutch seems OK, no leaking, etc.

How do you check a relay? Or do I just have to get another one?

It is a 4.7, and I just ordered a hurst comp. plus short throw shifter for it! (didn't know they even made one) I guess the performance side of my mind got to me.

Thanks!

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

[This message has been edited by Spames (edited 07-30-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode