69 rs headlight doors - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 03, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The headlight doors on my 69 will close fine, but they will only open partially or not at all. If you plug the hoses at the actuators on one side, the other door will open and close fine. This is true with either side. When you hook up both actuators they wont open. This is a recent (2 years)
rs set up, and all the parts were new when installed. I have a new repro. relay switch installed, but I know they are not very good, so I'm wondering if this is the problem. I cant seem to find any leaks. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 03, 04:26 PM
Retired
Jim

darn RS lights have you hooked up a vacuum guage to the hose leading to one acuator, then take vac reading while idleing. Then switch to the other side and read the vac there, if there is a difference then there must be a leak somewhere along the line.
Mine are acting funny now too, when I turn on the engine the left one opens, even with the switch OFF. Ive got most the parts for a winter overhaul but its just vacuum, so there has to be a leak somewhere.
let us know if you find anything.

[img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 03, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Yogi,
Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but you reminded me of why I didn't get an RS. I've always loved the look of the RS, but when I started my search some months ago, EVERY RS that I found for sale (at least a dozen or so)the light doors didn't work. Even on some of the really expensive restos.(Most of the owners came up with "oh, its just a little leak somewhere...no big deal") Seems like theres 2 types of RS..the ones where the lights dont work, and the ones that are gonna fail eventually. I'm sure that someone has a fix for it by now, although it must be a pretty big secret! Good luck.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 03, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

This isn't an easy topic for a guy who types with two fingers to try and explain, BUT! First disconnect both vacuum actuator mechanisms from the door linkage. Check the movement of the doors and correct it if it doesn't move smoothly with little effort. (emphasis on LITTLE). Repair it if necessary. Next pull the hoses that go to the actuators off the tank switch and connect them one at a time to a good vacuum source. One hose will open the doors and one hose will close them. If they operate the way they are supposed to great. If not check for leaks (on the non operating door) or a stuck or binding actuator. Now that this is all in working order, the next thing to check is the headlight switch. Put a vacuum to one of the hoses that go to the switch. If you hear a hiss at the switch you have the wrong hose (this hose goes to the tank switch) and vacuum should be applied to the other one (this hose goes to a vacuum source). Now there should be no leaks. Pull the headlight switch on and vacuum should flow through the switch and have no leaks. If everything checks out and no leaks or binding doors are found, I would suspect the tank switch. Try to use the over-ride switch on the top of the tank switch. My 69 has the original actuators still in the car and the doors work perfectly. I have found that the major cause of these doors not working is binding doors, broken or missing over center springs, vacuum leaks, or not enough engine vacuum (big cam). Just diagnose one step at a time, be patient and repair what needs to be repaired. If you need a hose diagram I can e-mail you one, but It may take a few days. I'm kinda busy right now.
Good Luck
Jim
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 03, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks to all. After 2 days, (well actually 2 years) of trying pretty much everything that was suggested, I finally got the doors to open very slowly. I really think it is mainly in the repro. relay switch. I was told that when they mold these switches, small pcs of plastic flash can remain in the hose connectors which can restrict air flow. I checked mine and one connector was almost completely blocked. I used a drill bit and carefully cleaned it out. The doors open now, but they are very slow. I think I can live with that!
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode