88 IROC Starting Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 01, 04:09 PM
Z28 Mark @home

Question

I have an 88 IROC (5.7 liter / 700r auto) that has a starting problem. Here is some of the history around this problem: I haven’t started the car in several months and yesterday I started it (very slow but it did start) and moved it from my back yard to the street and shut it off. Then tried to start it again and the starter wouldn’t turn the motor over. It just “clicks”. Tried jumping it, no go, replaced the battery, no help. Today I pulled the started and solenoid and bench tested the complete assembly, and both of them seam to be fine. Solenoid does it’s thing and the starter spins. Voltage gage reads about 10 volts but the battery is charged (both batteries).
Does anybody have a clue as to what could be wrong?
I have code reader, but that won’t help now, the battery has been disconnected and the memory on the computer has been reset. I have heard about the starter / heat problems on third gens and I think that could also be part of the trouble, but it always started before.
Thanks

Mark (A.K.A. Z28 Mark)
Update: 10/3/00
Remove the started again, and thought that the starter was bad (just not enough torque to spin the motor) and replace the starter and solenoid, new rebuild unit does the same thing as before.
Checked continuity of GND cable 00.0 ohms. Starter(repair shop) people claim that there is a relay some where in the circuit, but my manual shows nothing like this.
Hey friends, I’m stumped, Does anybody have any suggestions?
Mark (A.K.A. Z28 Mark

[This message has been edited by Z28 Mark @home (edited 10-03-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 01, 02:59 AM
Senior Tech
John

I don't know about the differences in your starter system as opposed to mine (in a '68), but I had a very similar situation about a year ago. Worked ok one minute and the next, no start... it actually turned out to be a fried battery cable. Again, I don't know if this is exactly your problem or if this info can help at all, but if this is the problem, it is only about a $5 fix. Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 01, 08:15 AM
Z28 Mark @home

Talking

Thanks boodlefoof, I think that is my next thing to check. Starter shop said to re install starter and then hook up 12V (directly to solenoid) to it then do a “bench test” on the car to see if it will spin the motor. Then that will tell me if there is something else in the circuit that is the problem. Cables are cheep, like you said.
Again, Thanks for the help.
Mark (A.K.A. Z28 Mark)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 01, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
John

I hope that is what the problem is... probably the cheapest one to fix.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 01, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

yes there is a starter relay in your starter circuit. it is located behind your left kick panel below the hood release. usually has some black sticky insulation on it. hope this helps!!!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 01, 06:15 PM
Z28 Mark @home

Wink

Thanks trickster! I re-installed the original starter after checking a lot of connections and still no help. I’ll have to take a look for the relay that you are talking about. The only good thing that I can say about this right now is that I also fixed a connection for 1 of the 2 electric fans, now the fan works like it should. What dumb luck….
Mark (A.K.A. Z28 Mark)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 03:42 AM
Senior Tech
John

at least the effort produced some result... even if it wasn't the starter.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 03:44 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

greetings Z28 [email protected], glad that I could help you out with that info. Had same thing happen to me recently. I don't know what manuals you have, but the haynes and chilton manuals just were not giving me enough to go on. I went down to my Chevrolet dealer and had him order me the maintenance service manuals for my 1989 Irocz. These manuals cover all the models for that year and are very comprehensive. Also has diagnostics and wiring schematics. Also gives locations of all components for each vin model.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 03:48 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

greetings Z28 [email protected], glad that I could help you out with that info. Had same thing happen to me recently. I don't know what manuals you have, but the haynes and chilton manuals just were not giving me enough to go on. I went down to my Chevrolet dealer and had him order me the maintenance service manuals for my 1989 Irocz. These manuals cover all the models for that year and are very comprehensive. Also has diagnostics and wiring schematics. Also gives locations of all components for each vin model. Forgot to mention that depending upon the dealer, the cost of these manuals is $60 - $80. To me, for the information they contain, it was well worth it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 06:15 AM
Z28 Mark @home

Thumbs up

Again, Thanks trickster! I may just have to obtain a dealer type manual as you stated. I’m using a Haynes manual and it really sucks wind….Well I’m back at it to day, I would like to drive it to night, we have a Camaro Club meeting tonight, and I don’t want to drive my F*rd to a Chevy meeting.
Mark (A.K.A. Z28 Mark)

[This message has been edited by Z28 Mark @home (edited 10-05-2001).]
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 01, 11:06 AM
Z28 Mark @home

Thumbs up

Problem Found!!! I added another GND from the battery to the alternator (just a convenient place to clip the jumper cables) and the motor turned over and started.
So boodlefoof you get the title of MVH (Most Valued Help). I just need to let the motor cool down a bit and change the NEG battery terminal cable.
But really, THANKS TO ALL, This is a great web site to ask questions and to get some help when you need it.
Mark (A.K.A. Z28 Mark)

[This message has been edited by Z28 Mark @home (edited 10-06-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode