expert advise please how to remove emissions - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 02, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

86 z28 305 5 speed carborated, will i be able to drive my car,if i remove all the smog crap on the engine? will the carb still work being it has that darn electronic solenoid,will the ecm go frick'in nuts and blow it's brain?will some one please tell me the basic's can the egr be blocked can this engine be stripped down to run better,i do know this;COME CHRISTMAS TIME I WILL WILL BUY A INTAKE MANIFOLD DOUBLE PUMPER CARB AND HEI DISTRIBUTOR BUT FOR NOW,,,NOW CAN I STRIP SOM OF THIS CRAP OFF AND STILL HAVE A GOOD RUNNING ENGINE?IF SO EXPERT;EXPERT'S PLEASE TELL ME HOW.THANKS FOR THE ADVISE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 02, 02:33 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
I do know that in most states its illegal to remove emissions. that said, yes you can remove this stuff and still run ( did it on both an 82 and 86 Camaros) only problem i had was the check engine light stayed on, and yes it still passed smog check.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 02, 02:44 PM
Bill

Richard,
Removing the emissions equipment is not going to make your engine run any better. It is designed to run its best with all the equipment it came with from the factory. There are a lot of aftermarket parts that can be used to improve performance without removing a single peice of emissions equipment. Not to mention the fact that you are breaking the law by taking it off.
A double pumper carb will probably slow the 305 down, not help it.
I suggest that you buy a few of the many books available on modifying late model cars and read them completely before you ruin yours.
Just my opinion,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 02, 02:48 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Maybe someone can e-mail you but I don't think it would be proper to share how to do something that is against the law here on the site. To add to Bill's excellent reply go to some of the performance parts web sites and look at what they have to offer for smog equipped cars.

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 03-29-2002).]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 02, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech

BillK hit it right on the head...removing all the smog stuff wont make the engine run any better and very well may damage it. All that stuff works together. If you want to remove it all, then do it right and do the intake, carb, and distributor at the same time.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 02, 08:59 PM
Senior Tech

find a totally stock car from the 60's, and see what they have hooked up on them. copy that setup on yours, and it will probably run better and cleaner than with all those vacuum hoses and other junk on it.
not saying to break the law, just pointing out all your options.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 03:48 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Derrik - how can you compare an '86 TPI 305 to a '60 carb'd engine that may or may not have a smog pump in it's completely stock form?

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech

DJD,
he has a carbureted Camaro... those had so many extra vacuum lines, and lots of other useless stuff on it. if any of those vacuum lines are cracked and brittle, soaked with oil, or ended up in the wrong spot over the last 17 years, it might be doing more harm than good. then factor in an EGR valve that may or may not work right, along with all those temp switches in the vacuum lines, and you have trouble.might be easier to get it to "look" stock, and tune it as best as he can, and see what happens, instead of spending maybe hundreds of $$$ on the "correct" smog stuff.
all i said was to make the basics work right- vac advance if it has it, PCV. then go from there. i have seen quite a few 80's GM products that ran like crap until all that stuff was eliminated. i swear,GM must have gotten a good buy on bulk vacuum lines during that time frame. i follow the KISS rule- Keep It Simple,Stupid. the less clutter, the better. and i bet the tailpipe sniffer would agree with me, if not the un-informed EPA and all the greenie groups out there- but i guess they are the only ones that matter.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode