camaro is totally dead. Help!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 01, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I drove my '67 to my friends house today. Shut it off and visited awhile. Got in to leave, turned the key and engine turned over maybe a quarter turn, then nothing. Everything went completely dead. No headlights, nothing. I got out, traced all the fused links, couldn't find any that were bad. Couldn't find any loose wires anywhere (starter, battery, ground, etc). Meanwhile, I put my hand on the positive terminal on the battery, and it was hot ( as if there was a load being drawn from it). After a little while it cooled down. Meanwhile, my car is still parked in my friends front yard. I'm not sure what else to do. What could go out that would kill all electrical power on the car? As I said before, even the headlights won't come on when the switch is pulled. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 01, 04:05 PM
Bill

Boy,
Try removing and cleaning the battery cables. If they are not making a good contact, you might have to jump start it also.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 01, 07:03 PM
David Pozzi

I agree, sounds like a common battery terminal problem.
Some observations:
Positive bat terminal allways corrodes more than the negative one.
Spring type battery cables as used on origonal Camaros will lose tension and break connection.
When you put a heavy load on the circut, the terminal arcs to the battery post creating carbon deposits that will further insulate the connection.
The "problem" connection will get hot. I've seen battery posts melt from it.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 01, 02:56 AM

After turning on the key, wait about 30 secs, then check the battery terminals. Be careful here. If one has a bad connection, it will be real hot. Also be careful when checking fusible links. They will typically not burn the insulation, just the innards. A test light is invaluable here. Looking for voltage with this unit will reveal a defective one in short order. I'll answer questions by e-mail Ray
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 01, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. Just got the car back home and running. Would you believe a fairly new battery (14 months) shorted out inside (melted the plates), at least that's what the guy at the parts store said when I took the battery in to be checked. Should have been the first thing I checked, but since it was pretty new, I overlooked it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode