First Performance Decision - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 00, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Question

I am asking for advice on what a beginner should get first when trying to gain more low-end HP. My car is a 1979 automatic 350 camaro. Everything right now is stock except for a new 3.73 posi rear end. It stalls / hesitates during heavy acceleration. I was told to get a new intake and carb. Do I have to get a new camshaft to match the intake? Will a torque convertor help me? If so what stall speed do you recommend? Part of the reason why I want more HP is because I am getting beaten off the line by cheap imports like Civics and Acuras. As you can tell I am a beginner and with some help I would like to increase low-end HP and beat those imports. Thanks, Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 00, 03:02 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

1979camaro350

Start with the basics. Exhaust, ignition, intake and carb. The stock cam should surfice but, if you must change it I would'nt go too big with it. A 268 is plenty big for the stock engine and have the power-band you need. As for the intake and carb goes may I reccommend a Edelbrock combo (600 cfm w/performer intake) Hope this is of help. Good luck

71 Camairo
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 00, 05:05 AM
Senior Tech

I had a '74 Camaro with the same engine/tranny combo. I added headers and a dual exhaust, a good tuneup, and a mild tranny shift kit. It made a world of difference although I still wouldn't call it fast. The Edelbrock combo is a good recommendation and should be the next step. Then upgrade the ignition with a better coil and recurve the distributor. Just take it one step at a time.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 00, 08:22 AM

Get rid of that quadrapuke and get a new holley or edelbrock carb to start.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 00, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Wink

Thanks for the advice, I will look into a new intake, carburetor, and exhaust.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 4th, 00, 12:23 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

i have a question ? how old is the engine ?
does it need rebuilt ? if it does, that could be one of your problems. if it's the original engine with original miles, it may just be tired and may need a good rebuilt. if you need to rebuild it, then add all of the go fast goodies and you'll see a big difference. i got a rebuild kit from northern auto parts and block work done and it cost me all but 700.00 to rebuild. you may want to think about that along with all the other info you got from the other guys.
good luck,
bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode