What if O2 sensor is bad? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

What whould my car run like if my O2 sensor is bad? this might be a step to why my car wont sart???

ŧmts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 10:18 AM
Tech Team

In general you may not notice much of a difference in drivability. You will notice a decrease in your gas mileage, hard starting, and at times an eratic idle.What type of vehicle is this?

IN PROGRESS '70 CAMARO-307,EDELBROCK PERFORMER PACKAGE,HOOKER HEADERS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 11:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Keep it all in one thread! Post a response to your last thread, don't start a new topic for the same question!

And, no, the O2 sensor has nothing to do wth the way your engine starts. The O2 sensor doesn't even get looked at by your engines computer until the water temperature comes above 135 degrees F.

We told you once already, it sounds like you have a fuel pressure problem. If you don't want or trust our advice, why did you ask??

Paul D.

68RS/Z28 Klone, Long rod 357 , T-56, 3.89 9"
Move with direction or lose your direction!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

ok, I dont what to come off rude, but i have a whole buch of problems with this car, and i wasnt posting a REPLY, I was asking another qustion about a different topic, so really i dont feel i am did anything wrong, you have to realize where im coming from, i just bought this car and there are soooooo many things bypassed and riged on it from the pervious owner, im just trying to get it right...and, at the same time, this is my fisrt chevy with a a computer...i dont mean to **** anyone off, i just need ALOT of DIFFERENT qustions answered....i have 2 different manuels, and am going through the car as best i can...ok, i'll ask another qustion here so no one get mad...looks like the fuel relay switch went bad and someone riged the hell out of it with a wire from the coil to the pump..."so it would come on when the key is in" now that i know this i need to find the fuel relay switch..i have 2 mauels and i can find the darn thing!!!anyone know?

ŧmts
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 03:35 PM

Talking

Try asking the "pervious" owner......
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

got it from a tow yard, as a lein sale..my dad owns a shop, so i have been down there every day working on it, he paints, but alsot does resots..hes a mustang man thoe...thats why my help is kinda limted....

ŧmts
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech

Greeting,

I have a GM service manual for the 1989 series camaro's and will be happy to e-mail you some information on your car since there is not a heck of a lot of difference between the two years. In regards to where the fuel pump relay is mounted, it is on the drivers side firewall in the engine compartment. Let me know if you would like this info. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Angry

thanks, i'll try to replace the relay, if that dont work, well be talking! thanks alot!

ŧmts
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 12:11 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Someones had too much caffiene [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Dave
69 Big Block / Hugger Orange Sold
65 Chevelle SS
Black 2010 Electra Glide Classic
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 01:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Not ****ed off, just trying to understand where you are coming from. It sounded like the same question for the third time.

That's a sad story! Junk yard refugees are always an SOB to get squared away.

Ask all the questions you can and everyone on the board will try to offer what help they can.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 03, 01:13 AM
Senior Tech

Well to answer your question an O2 sensor won't make your car start hard. Your car has a single wire, non heated O2 sensor that doesn't even come into play with the ECM until the engine is warmed up and the ECM goes into closed loop.
If the O2 sensor goes bad it will set a "check engine" or "service engine soon" light. The light may come on and go out with each key cycle (ignition cycle) but a fault code will be stored in the ECM. If the O2 sensor is bad the ECM will default to a set "value" which will still allow the engine to run. The purpose of the O2 sensor is to monitor the fuel/air ratio of the engine and make corrections to add more fuel or lean the engine out. An old 1 wire (non heated) O2 sensor may go into open loop (does not provide input data to the ECM) while the engine is at idle because the exhaust gases aren't hot enough, thus the reason vehicle mfgs. went to the heated O2 sensors which may have 3 or 4 wires attached to it.
Hope this makes sense to you.

Drew<br />69' X-11 Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode