camaro is sluggish..no power - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 02, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Ok...I am a women with a 89 camaro,305..I love my car..and I am having hesitation..no power problems...I have had to change my plugs at least 5 times in the past 6 months..they keep fowling out ..or are burnt...I have no power at all...unless I put it into a lower gear...and then bring it back up...and even then its not alot..I was wondering if it could be the fuel filter..and if so..how many does a camaro have..and where are they located at?someone said something about a distributer module maybe making everything fire wrong..If you reply to this question please talk in women terms..as I am a pretty good person to figure out whats wrong with a car..just doesnt know exactly how to fix or find the problem..I'm sorry if this is confusing ,I just love my camaro and want it back the way it was.Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 02, 04:18 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Welcome to Team Camaro. I kind of want to say it sounds like your automatic transmission isn't downshifting when you step on the gas. Not sure though because of the part about the fowled plugs. I guess if it didn't down shift and you were lugging the engine really bad, too much gas into the cyls could fowl the plugs and cause what you describe.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 02, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Rob

is it a tuned port engine or carburated?auto or manual?whats the temp gauge say,sounds to me like the catalytis converter is plugged up if its got one?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 02, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Plug fouling. .. from oil or running too rich? Also, along with fuel filter, check for clogged/dirty air filter ... Is your check engine light on ? When car is idling, does it rev up fine when it is park or neutral? Is the engine operating temperature still in correct range ? What do you see coming from exhaust when you get on it ? Post back with an update when you get a chance ...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 02, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech

Sound like it is running too rich(too much gas). You should have a check engine light on if the car is running poorly. There are a lot of possible causes(some already mentioned). I dont want to make it seem complicated but unless you have an understanding of what is going on you could throw alot of parts($) at it. Here are my ideas; If it is a port fuel injected motor :coolant temp sensor, ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm , Bad air volume metering device, MAP sensor,Mass air flow sensor. a bad O-2 sensor. or something as simple as a vac leak somewhere. If it is carburated, poss carburator, MAP sensor, computer, o-2 sensor, vac leak. In Bothe senarios a bad set of wires or cap&rotor,or a faulty timing chain, The list goes on and on. It really is a hands on job for someone who is familiar with this type of car. Good luck hope to see ya here even after you resolve you problem!

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro The Combat Rat
80 z28 Camaro 355ci
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 02, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys....sorry for not giving all info...its an automatic...with a carburetor...I had a new cataylic converter put on last year...so its not that...air filter is good...plugs look like they have like soot and oil on them..some plugs are burnt while others just have the soot on them...what should be the first thing I try to do to it..so I wont put in parts that are not needed...Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 02, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

also.....car doesnt idle good...when sitting still although..when i first start it ..it runs good until I warm it up some..then it starts idling bad
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 02, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

And I have no problem with it running hot...unless its summer and I am sitting still in traffic for a loong period of time...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 02, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

OK, the car is definately running too rich. Engines like a rich mixture when they are cold - that's why it runs OK when cold and bad when it's warm. That rules out fuel filters and probably a stuck EGR valve - I think these two would make it run lean.

If you have a check engine light, I would suggest getting a Chiltons manual. the manual will tell you how to install a small wire jumper and read the computer codes. Its not that hard - with the jumper in the check engine light flashes a certain number of times in a pattern. You just get the number and look in the book for the most likely problem.

You might also try cleaning the choke with some carb cleaner - if it is sticking the car will run rich when it is warmed up.

Some other possibilities include: coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor, or even an ignition problem.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 11-09-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode