Knocking Noise behind engine, - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 03, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

latley ive been hearing this odd knocking sound , i hear it while in the car, it sounds like its coming from the rear of the engine, it only does it while im stopped at a light and sometimes idling, its making the sound of a fan hitting the shroud, but it isnt that. any ideas what it could be? or where i should look?

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 03, 08:34 PM
Senior Tech

from the rear of the engine for sure? if it's and auto, check the flexplate and torque converter bolts. also, check the flexplate to see if it's cracked. can't hurt to make sure the bellhousing bolts are tight. look for anything that is flopping around loose back there.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see dirty pics here of a car that gets driven http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 03, 08:38 PM

Had a simular problem once. I had a rock in my bell housing and it would catch the teeth of my flex plate when I was idling. Once I was moving it must have spun with the converter so the noise would go away. Take a look

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 03, 02:31 PM

A buddy had a junk four wheel drive Suburban with a 350/TH350 in it and he had to put a couple of flexplates in it over time b/c they cracked and made a sound like you are describing.

Hope not, but might check into it.... pdq67

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 03, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech

Tough question. Don't see any mention of trans type but for jokes I'll ask if thats a loose fan shroud or one screwed down tight. Me and all of my wonderous experiences.
Could be a clutch throw out bearing or even lifter sticking. Try the old wooden dowl/stick to the ear and placing it on areas to check for the noise being transmitted up the shaft. Don't poke your head with the engine shakings around.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 03, 05:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I second the flexplate/torque converter thing. I'd check the bolts first, then look at the flexplate where it bolts to the crank. This can be hard to see anything. I used a little dental mirror and a halogen light, spinning the flexplate with a prybar, and found 2 small cracks coming out from a bolt hole.
This was giving me a clicking noise, but only under light acceleration.
It could very well be what the others have mentioned too.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,3-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
69 Cadillac ElDorado
60 El Camino keeper? project? Yard ornament? stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode