lifters bleeding down?? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 03, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

back in august i posted a question about my BB402 and the noise it was making from the rockers(like they were all loose). i have been unable to work on my car untill this past week and still have the problem so i asked a mechanic to come look at it. well he came out and readjusted them and we fired it back up and still have the same noise, he says the lifters are pumping down almost as quickly as he is adjusting them. he thinks it may be a bad set of lifters but is unsure and needs to check with the engine builder to confirm. the cam and lifters are the ultradyne 280/288 and were purchased brand new. my question is has anyone ever heard off ALL the lifters not pumping up or whatelse could be the problem? as always any advise and help will be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 03, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Could be a couple reasons,

1. Lifters could have been made to bleed down to reduce the cam duration at idle to allow engine to idle alittle better, as in a Rhoades lifter.
2. Low oil pressure at idle, too thin of oil, worn pump, weak pressure relief spring.
3. Or, too much bleed down from lifters themselves, made wrong, too much clearance inside the outer body, etc.

Call Ultradyne and ask them about the problem at hand. Have all the surrounding circumstances at hand, engine cold, engine hot, at idle, at cruise rpm, etc.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 03, 02:18 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

If oil pressure is good, I would look at your valve springs. What valve springs are you running and at what installed height?

I saw this happen once before on a 70 Camaro with a 327. The owner had no idea what cam he was running and the valve springs were stock diameter. It turned out that the springs were binding. He didn't figure it out until a couple lobes went flat. Too much valve spring pressure will kill a hydraulic lifter even if the springs are not binding.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 03, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

well ive got 60+ psi for the oil pressure and the oil pump is brand new(high volumne), i tried to call ultradyne but nobody has called back yet, the mechanic is getting me some rhoads lifters in and we are going to see if they work. im not really wanting to spend the money on them but he has asked around and most feel that its a bad batch of lifters. i did take my cam card to the machinist who did my heads so i believe the springs should be correct. the mechanic says in 20 yrs hes never seen this before, figures it would be me
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 03, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech

Are you getting good oil flow up to the rockers. The oil will create a cooling affect on the springs. An old head builder told me he experimented with oil restrictors on an engine once that began to clatter. He found out that the springs had overheated and you could almost compress them with your fingers.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 03, 02:05 PM
Bill

marosss,
The Rhoads lifters will definitely be noisy. Every set I have ever heard made a racket. That is the way they are designed. Why don't you wait till Harold calls you back about your UD lifters, they might be a fast bleed type lifter like the Rhoads and that is why they are noisy. If you want to do anything, replace them with a set of good stock lifters.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 03, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

bill, is it possible that i need long slot rockers with that cam? i had a mechanic friend suggest that it might be a possibility. just trying to figure on what direction to go before i buy new lifters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode