I,m a newbie here so bear with me.
My son just bought a 1981 coupe. Vehicle: coupe, 3.8L, THM 350 (I think), A/C, P/S, P/B.
It's tired, but being an AZ car, the body is remarkably good. We're going to rebush the entire suspension next week and then attack the engine, next interior, then paint.
A little background.
1. All the components (emission) appear to be there.
2. This has to pass a pretty liberal emissions test.
3. The "basic" engine is sound. Compression is good. No vacuum leaks, etc.
My questions on the engine are:
1. I do not hear the carb. metering rods "clicking". The engine is running extremely rich. Is it possible to get this carb leaned out without getting into CCC issues? If not, can a non CCC carb be adapted and still "probably" meet emissions?
2. The check engine light works, but is not on-currently. It's sort of hard to believe running the way it is. Is this vehicle supposed to have an O2 sensor?
3. Does the ECM also control timing, or is the HEI "on its own"?
Sorry for the long post.