another problem!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 99, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Well, im still having trouble with my car, First i couldnt get ti started because the distributer was 180 degrees off. Right now it runs when its in park , but kinda rough. When i shift into reverse or drive it just loses all its power and stalls out. Ive already taken a timing light to it. the plugs are brand new. What could it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 99, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech

What did you set the initial timing at? With the vacuum hose disconnected? If I remember right, you changed the cam? Most cams will dictate that you will need more initial advance. Try advancing the timing to 12-14 degrees advanced, then hook up the vacuum can. You do have the vacuum advance hooked to full vacuum at idle?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 99, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Before i took the old cam out , i never used the timing tab. I always had to advance it to where the timing indicator was at the highest point on the balancer. and its about in the same spot now. i think thats the best spot for it. i took the light to it and it runs best there. but it still has a rough idle and it eventually stalls out. and when i shift, it stalls out even quicker. Im still kinda new at all this stuff. this is a learning experience for me. Plus somehow my battery keeps dieing on me also. let me know if you need any other info on my engine

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 99, 03:18 AM
Senior Tech

Was this a high performance cam? These cams are designed to idle rough and will load up the engine when forced to idle slow as when the trans is in gear and the torque converter is dragging hard on the engine. This cam may require a 1200 RPM idle speed and there's no way to get around this. tom
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 99, 04:00 AM

tom3 is correct... to find top dead center.. remove the #1 plug.. place your thumb over the number one cylinder... rotate the engine until compression or air is felt.. this is the compression stroke... look at your timing tab and stop at TDC.. then set the distributor to point to the number 1 wire... it will run.. but it does need to be advanced 12 to 14 degrees... my 461 runs best at 14... if the cam has more than 280 advertised duration.. you'll need a stall to stop the bog... I have 3400 to 3600 stall.. running at idle around 900 rpm.. lopes a lot.. but no bog... it'll light the tires when you get on it too.. you may want to stay around 2800 rpm stall for a street driver... the vacuum needs the variable vacuum port on the carb.. not the constant.. that's for th400 tranny vac hook up or anything that need constant vacuum.. if you are running points.. check you dwell.. also.. use a vacuum gauge to setup your carb... holley is 1 1/2 turns from close then adjust to get max vacuum...

[This message has been edited by darrell (edited 06-17-99).]

[This message has been edited by darrell (edited 06-17-99).]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 99, 12:49 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Is this a point system or electronic?
Check your coil for a nice blue spark at the plug gap.It sounds like you could have a short or a charging problem robbing your spark and in return not igniting the cylinder the way it should.
and please post a cure when you find out the problem.
Good luck
Tim
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 99, 12:51 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Also double check your wiring (firing)order.
Tim
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 99, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help but it turns out its gonna cost me some more $$$ i need a stronger converter, a reserve tank, and i gonna need to put 4.10 gear ratio on the car. the Cam was alittle to much for the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode