Stud spinning and the wheel is on!!!!!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 01, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joel

As I put the last lug nut on the impact boged down and then sped up and I noticed that the lug and the stud were spinning and the wheel is on the car.My question is how will I ever get the lug off and the stud out with it spinning in the rotor???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 01, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Take all of the other lug nuts off, then wedge the wheel so that it is cocked and applying pressure against the spinning stud (causing the stud to be cocked and hopefully jam itself against the hub) You can either try to use you impact gun to shoot it off or (as I would) use a breaker bar/socket to slowly/steadily remove the lug nut.
Or you could try to get a NUT SPLITTER in there and break the lug nut off.
Just a couple of Ideas.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 01, 05:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Allcamaro, had this happen to me on the back wheel, and it was a 10" wide sucker. I didn't have a nut splitter so I carefully ground the nut with a 4" makita grinder. Right in the middle, as close as I could get without hitting the wheel. Then took a small chisel and broke the lug off. It's not bad if you just cut right down the middle, stud and nut. The nut should bust in two without having to go ALL the way through it. A cut off wheel would probably work too.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 01, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joel

As always you guys have some great ideas on how I to save my butt.The worst part is the wheels are brand new Americans.I will try a couple of the ideas in a day or two and let you know how it went.

Thanks all.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 04:48 AM
Senior Tech

get the biggest washer you can that still has the hole the same size as the lug. place it over it and use that as a semi safe guard to cut against. Another piece of thin metal behind the washer might work but if it gets too thick, you may not be able to get close enough. use an angle grinder with a metal cutoff wheel to do your cutting/grinding. Maybe it would allow you to get closer to the base without the ocasional slip ruining your wheels.

my .02
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech

I used a dremel with a cuting wheel and cut the nut in the same direction as the stud ( 90 degrees out from the threads ) and once it got close the the stud got a cold chisel and carefully split the nut in half and replaced the stud.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 07:00 AM

Try drilling into the stud and tapping it for the next size down from what the stud is (1?2" stud then tap a 7/16 or 3/8 thread). Then thread a bolt into it until it bottoms out. then you can hold it whil you remove the nut. I wouldn't think the lug nut is that tight if it spun. I have also welded an extension onto the stud to hold it still.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 11:07 PM

You might have to pull the axle then tack weld the stud. then spin it off then replace all of your studs unless you want more of this to happen Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode