Burning oil.. Should I try synthetic?? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 98, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Hey, my 350 has 2,800 miles on it and I'm burning a quart of oil about every 700 to 800 miles. I'm using Valvoline 10w40, whats going on?? Should I try using synthetic and see if it helps any? I know I'm not leaking any oil at all, the engine is totally clean. Thanks

------------------
83 Z-28 T-Tops
Goodwrench Crate 350 bored over .020
Hypereutectic 9.1:1
272 RV cam
Performer intake
Edelbrock 750cfm
stock heads & exhaust
TH350 B&M shift kit
3.23 open rear
-Dustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 98, 04:16 AM
Tech Team

The only thing that synthetic oil will do is cost more money. It will burn the same with it as the regular oil. When does it smoke? If it smokes on decelleration and startup, the problem is the valve seals. If it smokes on accelleration and at idle it is your rings. If it's the valve seals, that is a relatively easy job to change them and help your oil consumption problem, otherwise, it's time for a rebuild.

Well, just re-read your post, guess I missed the part about the 2800 or so miles, I think you just need to give it a little time for the rings to seat.

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 12-03-98).]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 98, 06:56 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

Another possible source of this much oil consumption on a fairly 'fresh' engine is a leaking intake manifold gasket. This would draw in oil from the lifter gallery.
Check the plugs and if one or two look oiled and the rest are fine, then check the intake.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 98, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys, but engine does not smoke at all! Runs like a champ and all spark plugs are a tannish/orange color. I'm stumped as to where the oil is going. Engine and tranny is totally clean.

------------------
83 Z-28 T-Tops
272 RV cam
Performer intake
Edelbrock 750cfm
stock heads & exhaust
TH350 B&M shift kit
3.23 open rear
-Dustin

[This message has been edited by BlazinZ28 (edited 11-27-98).]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 98, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech

Blazin; You using the 305 heads on the 350? Could be running some pretty high compression here. I'd guess the valve guides are getting worn and even with new seals you may be getting some oil down through them. Not a big worry except for buying oil. I read that synthetic oil is more uniform in thickness but I hear that an engine will use this oil much more than regular oil for some reason, and it does cost much more. Engine may wear in eventually and stop using oil anyway. tom
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 98, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

I'm running the 350 heads that came with the crate when I first got it. The heads were completely rebuilt the same time I had the block bored .020 over. I think its too early to tell if theres any problem.. I'm just gonna add oil when needed and let the engine wear in some more like Tom said and see what happens from there. Thanks!

------------------
83 Z-28 T-Tops
272 RV cam
Performer intake
Edelbrock 750cfm
stock heads & exhaust
TH350 B&M shift kit
3.23 open rear
-Dustin
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 98, 04:58 AM

Why don't you do a compression test? You would be able to determine where tha oil is going. Have you beat the engine silly yet? I used to get better leak down results with the fresh engines that were just thrown in the racecars and beat than the one broken in nicely. BTW, with a short duration cam and pretty high compression, you are going to have some pretty high cylinder presuures. Watch out for detonation, esp. if where you live uses oxygenated fuel. I can send you some old pistons to help remind you if you like....

------------------
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 98, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

I've been thinking about doing a compression test and possibly a leak down test soon. Where should I go for the leak down test?? I'm in Dallas, and have never done a leak down test before. I dont think my compression is that high, I have pretty much stock heads on it. I only installed all new components to the heads, didn't port them or anything. Yes, of course I have beat the engine silly quite a few times. LOL I think I gave my engine a very thorough break-in. Didn't baby it, but didn't overdo it. Changed oil at 500mi, 1500mi, and changing oil sometime this week at 3000mi. The first 500 I drove it kinda normal, not too slow. After 500 I would take off normal then push the throttle in about three quarters of the way and let the rpms get up there. At 1500mi I hammered it, of course. Engine has been running like a champ, just a little oil getting burnt.. I don't think its a big issue and will see what happens after it wears in some more. Thanks for ur replies.

------------------
83 Z-28 T-Tops
Goodwrench Crate 350 bored .020 over
272 RV cam
Performer intake
Edelbrock 750cfm (Getting Holley 600 soon)
stock heads & exhaust
TH350 B&M shift kit
3.23 open rear
-Dustin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode