Removing Instrument cluster - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

im trying to remove my instrument clutser from my 84 chev camaro, i removed all the scres but the speedometer cable is preventing it from coming out, how do i get it out? im trying to find a possible short that is causing my rpm guage bulbs from working and now my fuel guage is not working since i attempted to removed the cluster. also when i turn on my headlight all my instruments stop working unless i turn the dimmer switch off shutting off the dash lights. someone please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 01:37 AM
Senior Tech

Greetings Bantam,
To remove your instrument cluster, you must disconnect your speedometer cable in the engine compartment. It is a two piece cable and the two pieces are joined underneath the master cylinder. If you are lucky, they will unscrew without any trouble. Mine had never been loose so I had to remove the master cylinder to get mine undone. But, anyway, once you get the cable disconnected, it is a simple matter to push enough of the cable through the firewall so that you can pull the instrument cluster out to work on it. On mine, I had to replace all the lights and clean the crud out of it.
Hope this helps you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks for the reply, im going to give it a try on saturday , i was also given the advice of removing the lower panel of the dash that would be above my knees to access the cable, but i think it would be easier to try it your way , unless of course the master cyl has to be removed then i try the other method.
im hoping this will help me solve my lighting and fuel guage prob, however i have a funny feel;ing the printed circuit sheet on the back of the cluster is bad, so i wont knowq until i get the sucker out. thanks again for you assistance.

BanTam

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 02:40 PM
Senior Tech

Greetings Bantam,
There is a panel under your instrument console that will have to be removed if it is installed.It is called a knee panel and there is one on the driver & passenger side. This panel goes from the instrument console to the firewall. You can reach the cable from there but will be unable to remove it from the instrument cluster. To disconnect the speedometer cable in the engine compartment you will need a 1" wrench and a good pair of pliers, preferably vise grips. It is not that much of a problem to remove the master cylinder if you have too. I had mine out, the cable disconnected, cluster pulled, repaired, installed, cable connected, & cylinder installed in less than 1 1/2 hours. This time did not include bleeding my brakes afterwards. If you do have to pull the master cylinder, siphon the brake fluid out of the reservoir with one of those big plastic syringes that they sell at any auto parts stores first, saves a lot of mess. I keep about four of them around the house along with some clear plastic tubing. If you have never done this before, another good thing to have a lot of is patience . I speak from experience there.
Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way, since I forgot to mention it in the first post. Welcome to the site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 02, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks, i was able to pull enough slack on the cable under the dash to be able to slip my hand behind the cluster to depress the clips and pop off the cable, i found only one of my problems, in prior attempts to get the cluster out i broke one of the copper leads that went to the fuel guage. i was able to repair that. i still have the problem of my right signal indicator coming on and all my guages shutting off when i turn on the headlights. could this be a grounding prob? when i turn off the headlight dimmer and shut off the dash lights the guages all work fine. im not much of a mechanic but ive done my fair share of car work. thanks for welcoming me to this site, it has been VERY helpful already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode