Rough Idle 84 Z-28 HO.5 speed - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Hi;
My daughter just gave me her 1984 z-28 HO. 5 speed 41,000 miles.
Flew up to Wisconsin and drove it back to Florida. Went through 7 tanks of gas.Ran really great.The car has been in florida about 2 weeks and has developed a rough idle. It runs through the gears without a miss. I've checked other sites and they talk about vacuum leaks and fuel filters.Could someone help me in the right direction to find the fuel filter and where to look for the vacuum leaks.
Being 66 tears old its been a long time since I worked on older cars.But still like fast cars and good preformance. My other car is a 99 corvette conv. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 10:01 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
The fuel filter is inside the carburetor. You will have to take the fuel line off at the carb, and if my memory serves me correctly, you'll have to have a big wrench to take the housing part off the carb.

Look for any vacum lines that are brittle or cracked, and replace any that look to be in bad shape. If this doesn't work, get a can of brake cleaner, you can spray around areas of the carb, and if the idle gets smooth, you are getting closer to the problem area.

Good luck! 41,000 miles- WOW!!!

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 02, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech

dont forget you brought this car from wiscon to fla. the fuel mix is gonna be off, if its injected it should clear up in a day or 2 if its carb its gonna need adjusting. after replacing the filter also run a good fuel addititve through the tank the techron carb an injector cleaner works great so does the lucas additive. good luck an enjoy that camaro.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 02, 02:10 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
The carb is computer controlled on those things. I don't think there is a whole lot to adjust.

But the fuel system cleaner isn't a bad idea.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode