Girls 85 V6 - Won't Start .... Sometimes ? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

I'm just a girl who doesn't understand why my 85 V6 runs perfectly & starts perfectly most of the time. Then all of a sudden, it will not start & there is no spark coming out of the coil. Then all of a sudden after about 3 minutes. It just starts like nothing was ever wrong. The distributor, ignition module, coil, engine control module, map sensor & whatever else in under there have all been replaced. Help !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech

demonic possession...

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Come on big-guy you can do better than that.
The problem is not too tuff for you is it?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by novaderrik:
demonic possession...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Have a pass key?

Key with a resistor in it, matches the same in VATS module. Read your owners manual, if there is still one there.

If module doesn't recognize the key first time, wait three minutes, then try again with same key, car will start.

I've had the electrical socket portion of the ignition switch go bad, the contacts in the depths of the switch fail to mate with the key, thus, no match, no start.

Have to get a new electrical switch part and new key made from dealer, under $75.

Others here may have another suggestion to bypass.

Welcome to the club, cold beverages in the frig in the Tech 2002 room.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech

Are you getting any "Service engine soon" codes....if so what are they, I can look them up.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

No message or light.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sixt9d:
Are you getting any "Service engine soon" codes....if so what are they, I can look them up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that sounds like what it is. I will check it out. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everett#2390:
Have a pass key?

Key with a resistor in it, matches the same in VATS module. Read your owners manual, if there is still one there.

If module doesn't recognize the key first time, wait three minutes, then try again with same key, car will start.

I've had the electrical socket portion of the ignition switch go bad, the contacts in the depths of the switch fail to mate with the key, thus, no match, no start.

Have to get a new electrical switch part and new key made from dealer, under $75.

Others here may have another suggestion to bypass.

Welcome to the club, cold beverages in the frig in the Tech 2002 room.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 03:07 PM
Tech Team

i have a 94 and all that the pass key does is keep it from cranking so i dont know about an older one if its the same but i bypassed it ne way and put in a remote start it costs 2$ to replace with some resistors mounted under dash but i wouldnt reccomed it without a security system cauz it dissable the anti theft passkey system if u want to know how to do this just email me or put up a post
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 02, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech

85 Camaros don't have that key.I believe that started in 89.I also believe the engine will crank in later cars with the pass key but the injectors won't fire if the wrong key is used.It does not affect the ignition.You said the 'whole' distributor was changed? If not then the only thing left is the pick-up coil.Next time it does this disconnect the 4 wire connector on the distributor and see if you get spark then.The 4 wire connector goes to the computer and it is for the timing.Disconnecting it locks the timing at it's initial setting and lets the pick-up coil send all it's voltage to igniton module.When 4 wire connector is connected some of the pick-up coils voltage is going to computer and some to module.If pick-up coil is weak it can't supply voltage to both and you won't get spark.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 01:57 PM

I'm just a girl, thats no excuse! I'm mechanically inept is an excuse. Gender should not be the issue!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 02:44 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian_Stockton:
I'm just a girl, thats no excuse! I'm mechanically inept is an excuse. Gender should not be the issue!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was a figure of speach not an excuse! Can we persume you don't know what the fix is? Does that make you mechanically inept?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 04:25 PM
msb

Does it ever run bad when it does start? Could be pickup coil or pole piece(different name for the same thing), but if it has a new(rebuilt?) distributor I would think that and the ignition module would come with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode