1995 Camaro dies occasionally - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 00, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I have a 95 Camaro. Over the last couple of weeks it dies occasionally. It seems to always do it a couple of times during one individual trip when I am attempting to slow down or stop. After a couple of times of dieing or trying to die it straightens up. I took it to a shop which diagnosed the problem as the fuel filter. They replaced that and cleaned the throttle body for a total of $226.00. Anyway I picked it up and the next day it did it again. Now it is at a GM dealer shop and they cannot get the car to die so they are telling me they cannot diagnose the problem. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 00, 12:28 PM

Lightbulb

Mechanics sunk the way they rip people off

May be the computer itself since it is a pretty new car. Maybe you got a defective computer. My brothers truck got struck by lightening once and it caused same problems in my brothers 95 Dodge Dakota 30 different mechanics could not figure it out because they diagnosed the computer to find out what was wrong when it was the computer itself.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 00, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
The trouble code of the error should be stored in the computer. Have they hooked the car up to a diagnostic machine?

It is a guess...but i would guess maybe a faulty TPS or MAF sensor....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 00, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

I thought they would hook it up to some kind of machine, but they act like they have actually experience the problem before they can do that. I am confused. I thought the trouble code would be easily found. BTW thanks for your response! <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mccorry:
The trouble code of the error should be stored in the computer. Have they hooked the car up to a diagnostic machine?

It is a guess...but i would guess maybe a faulty TPS or MAF sensor....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 00, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MustangEater:
Mechanics sunk the way they rip people off

May be the computer itself since it is a pretty new car. Maybe you got a defective computer. My brothers truck got struck by lightening once and it caused same problems in my brothers 95 Dodge Dakota 30 different mechanics could not figure it out because they diagnosed the computer to find out what was wrong when it was the computer itself.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 08:06 AM

You might want to check for vaccum leaks. I've seen that kill a car on decel. Good luck

------------------
The night-time is the right time
****James Bondo****
Cars:'68 Camaro RS, '73 Porsche 914, '69 Datsun 510
www.whosnextracing.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 07:25 PM

I HAVE A 1990 CAMARO RS AND HAD THAT PROBLEM WHEN IT WAS LESS THAN A YEAR OLD. TURNED OUT TO BE A BAD WIRE IN THE WIREING HARNESS. THE DEALER REPLACED THE HARNESS AND THE PROBLEM WENT AWAY.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 00, 12:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

My winter car (grand Cherokee V8) did that just this week. I pulled the idle air control motor out and cleaned it up, and it's fine. It was stuck closed. Look for a 1" round cylinder about an inch long, attached to the front of the plenum or to the trottle body. It's got a connector with 3 wires going into it.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 00, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I will try that! <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimM:
My winter car (grand Cherokee V8) did that just this week. I pulled the idle air control motor out and cleaned it up, and it's fine. It was stuck closed. Look for a 1" round cylinder about an inch long, attached to the front of the plenum or to the trottle body. It's got a connector with 3 wires going into it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 00, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sureguy:
You might want to check for vaccum leaks. I've seen that kill a car on decel. Good luck
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 00, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimM:
My winter car (grand Cherokee V8) did that just this week. I pulled the idle air control motor out and cleaned it up, and it's fine. It was stuck closed. Look for a 1" round cylinder about an inch long, attached to the front of the plenum or to the trottle body. It's got a connector with 3 wires going into it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode