START FAILURE - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 99, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

I HAVE A 1990 CAMARO RS. SOMETIMES WHEN I DO A LOT OF RUNNING AROUND THAT REQUIRES ME TO DO A LOT OF STARTUPS, I GET A STARTUP FAILURE. WHEN I TURN THE KEY, THE CAR DOES NOTHING, AS IF I HAVE A DEAD BATTERY. BUT IF I LET IT SIT FOR ABOUT 5 OR 10 MINUTES IT WILL START RIGHT UP. I HAD THE STARTER CHECKED AND IT IS OK. I ALSO HAD THE BATTERY CHECKED AND IT IS OK. THE PROBLEM IS INTERMITTENT AND I CANNOT GET IT FAIL WHENEVER I TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC SO THEY CAN DETERMINE WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT. IT SEEMS AS IF SOMTHING IN THE IGNITION SYSTEM GETS HOT, AND PREVENTS THE ENGINE FROM STARTING. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA AS TO WHAT MAY BE THE PROBLEM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 99, 05:19 AM

It could be as simple as a bad negative battery cable or a bad ground strap. I was having this problem for the longest time on my Grand Prix and it ended up being a frayed negative cable where it mounted on the engine. I would check that first if you have a stock exhaust.

If you have aftermarket exhaust manifolds (headers), I would suspect a hot start problem. You can try a starter heat shield (TransDapt and Moroso make one I think) or you can bypass the stock GM solenoid with a remote solenoid kit avaliable from M.A.D. www.mad-enterprises.com/documents/startmup.html or Summit Racing www.summitracing.com .

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by GeorgeK (edited 07-21-99).]

[This message has been edited by GeorgeK (edited 07-21-99).]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 99, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Could it be heat soak of the starter? Sometimes when I starter gets hot, with the close can/armature clearences, it will bind in the can and not turn.... You must wait for the thing to cool off a bit...

Possible?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 99, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I WILL CHECK THESE THINGS OUT AND GET BACK TO YOU WITH THE RESULTS. I WELCOME ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 99, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

OK FELLAS, CHECKED THE NEGATIVE GROUND CABLE FOR THE BATTERY AND IT IS OK. BUT WHILE GIVING THE CAR A TUNE UP YESTERDAY, I NOTICED THE ALTERNATOR CONNECTOR WAS IN CONTACT WITH THE CHASSIS. COULD THIS POSSIBLY HAVE HAD SOMTHING TO DO WITH MY PROBLEM? ALSO, IS THERE A TEST I CAN DO MYSELF TO DETERMINE IF I HAVE A HEAT RELATED PROBLEM WITH THE STARTER. WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR REPLIES, AND THANKS A LOT. P.S. I REMOVED THE ALTERNATOR CONNECTION AWAY FORM THE CHASSIS AND INSULATED IT AGAINST FURTHER CONTACT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode