1988 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

I love my 88 Camaro (v8 305 eng.) Problem with it lately is I just had it tuned (before it was due) because it was idling a little rough and thought it needed the tune up. After the tune up it is now running even rougher. I notice it changes with the types of gas I use sometimes? Sounds strange I know?
Also, now and again it makes a humming noise when I'm slowing to a stop. It's like the noise winds down as I slow down to a stop. It's a noise I've never heard in a car before and a humming sound is the only way I can describe it. It has 112,000 miles now and I have to say, whatever goes wrong with it will be repaired as I LOVE MY CAMARO!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech

Talking

When you say "types of gas" are you referring to different brands of gas or different grades of octane (87, 89, 92, or 93)? These different grades of octane can affect the way your engine performs. I prefer to use high octane (92 or 93)in all my cars, whether it is my wife's Colt Vista or my 1989 IROC-Z. It burns cleaner and has a better emission rating. Can't help you with the humming.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I only put the highest octane gas in my car. I mean from Shell to Chevron. Sometimes I get in the car and it idles fine and then after a couple miles it's rough again. Can't understand what makes it change? The humming sound is mysterious I must say...I've never heard a sound like this in a car in my lifetime...thanks for the response. This is my first time on a chat like this and I'm really impressed!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech

Talking

Was your tune-up done by a reputable mechanic and what was done to your car during the tune-up. If your tune-up was done by a reputable mechanic, most of them will work with you to resolve the problem with little or no charge since they take pride in their work and hate to think they've done a bad job or repair. Also, where, roughly does the humming sound like it is coming from and is it a high or low pitch sound. This humming could be caused by a vacuum leak somewhere sucking in air which would cause your rough idle. The reason it would seem to wind down as you come to a stop is that lower speeds less air would be sucked through the leak.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 03:41 PM

A rough idle could be many things, especially if it got worse after the tune up. Did you use performance spark plug wires that you had to cut yourself? If so, you might have hooked a wire up with a bad connection. You didn't specify what type of injection, but you may have a vacuum leak. Does this rough idle cause any hesitation or loss power? Have you tried checking for computer codes through the ADLS under the dash?
As far as the humming, could it possibly be coming from the brakes? Do you have an after market stereo? Due to poor grounds near the stereo area, my stereo humms through the speakers when I slow down nd also when I turn on the windshield wipers.
Be sure to add a little more detail to your post, it will help us work through your problem. Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode