ticking '89 v6 2.8L camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Alright I have had this car for about two years. Since I bought it, it has been ticking but it used to be quiet enough where I didn't really notice it so I didn't do anything about it. About a year ago it got louder and has been doing it ever since. Many people have told me it is probably a "sticky lifter" so I threw some oil cleaner stuff and it helped but only about the time I got my next oil change. It got really annoying so I decided adjusting the valve lash because I thought maybe the last person who did it didn't torque it right(but they are hydraulic so I didnt know how much that would matter)to spec because the engine had been rebuilt before I bought it and by the looks of all the liquid gasket it didn't look like a great job. Readjusting the valve lash helped for about a day but that was it. I asked a dude and he suggested putting a half quart of automatic tranny fluid in on my next oil change and he said that would clear it up. I don't think too highly of that idea. So my question is what can I do to fix this. Different oil, live with it or what and is this ticking messing anything else up like the lobes on my cam or anything? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 02, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

If it is anymore help. The ticking seems to lessen or go away when it is warmer outside and the engine has been running for awhile. Probably because the oil is more liquid and is getting to the lifter?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 01:21 PM
SSuperman

Smile

If you wanna quick fix, use a bottle of "Motor Honey" or STP, also try a thicker oil 20w50.
But if you plan on keeping the car for a while, I'd think about changing the lifters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode