hot engine - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 03, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

My 98 V6 standard camaro has been running hot. I have had to add coolant 4 times in the past two months. I have had it in for service and they can not find any leaks. I have never seen any puddles under the car. I am still adding coolant, and when it is low on coolant my engine reaches 210 degrees. When I have check the coolant level in the radiator, there is none. I have been adding half water and half coolant. My question is where is the coolant going and what type of service should be performed to correct this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 03, 09:25 AM
Senior Tech
Don

A leaking intake or head gasket is on the list of possibilities.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 03, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech

Running an engine timing advanced vs retarded gets you more heat. Might go a little more retarded to see if that helps. Not sure where your timing is now or if your moder days car allows controlling timing much. Running darn near straight antifreeze isn't seposed to be good but I don't buy into that much. Too sraight of a mixture I heard gives higher temps. Replace the radiator cap is the cheapest first try.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 03, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
You might check passenger side carpet for water/coolant wetness. You stated nobody can find the leak, this would be a good place to start.

I'd find another shop and have them pressurize the cooling system to 30# and check.

Remove spark plugs, the cleanest one is the leaky cylinder. Change head gasket.

Does coolant reservior have a leak in the bottom? If it doesn't hold fluid, engine won't fill back up when it cools down. Thus, low coolant, especially when engine is cycled cold-hot-cold several times.

Welcome to the club!!

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"

[This message has been edited by Everett#2390 (edited 02-03-2003).]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 03, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the advice. There is no wetness under passenger carpet. I am going to take it in to another shop. I have had the cooling system pressurize, but I will have it done again at another shop. Should I have the radiator replaced? The car has 70,000 miles on it. I had to pull over today while sitting in traffic, the temperature reached just a little before the 260 mark. I looked yesterday at the fans and I am not sure if both are comming on or if either one of them is comming on. I did not hear any noise, like the fans turning on when the car temperature reached above 210. So maybe the fans are not working and the water/coolant is boiling over? I had to fill the radiator again today, nothing in there or in the reserve tank, both were empty. I took notes on all the advice and plan on having them all checked out. As long as I keep a speed of 50 or more the car stays cool, but to take off from a complete stop the temperature rises-210 or more than cools down.... You can literally watch the temperature gage go up and down, up and down.
Thank you and thanks for the welcome to the club!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 03, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
You should have at least one fan on when A/C or DEF is selected. You can disconnect the a/c compressor to prevent it from running so as not to create more heat from the condenser.

Your car is definitely running alittle warm. The General does want later model cars to run warm, say 200-210*F for better emissions.

One fan, like I said, turns on with A/C, the other is ECM controlled. So maybe the temp sensor for the ECM is bad, or the controlling relay for that fan is bad, or fan is bad itself.

May also have a clogged radiator, feel the fins of the radiator for cold spots with your hand after engine shutdown. May have a collapsed hose. Late opening thermostat. Hopefully you don't have the wrong water pump on your engine, with 70K miles, I doubt if you have had it replaced.

If this condition came on gradually, I suspect as others here, a leaky gasket. Either intake or head gasket. Pull dipstick and check for milk, hopefully, there won't be any.

When the shop does the cooling system pressurization, ask them to do a cylinder leakage test, or at least apply shop air into each cylinder on compression and check radiator coolant with removed cap for bubbles. A definite gasket problem if the bubbles appear, or crankcase fills with coolant. Check for the cleanest spark plug.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 03, 04:37 PM

You may want to check the oil for any signs of water. You could have a bad head gasket or a broken head bolt. Your local radiator shop should have a chemical test that will show if there is any CO2 in the coolant. This is usually a sign of a head gasket letting exhaust in the coolant system. I hope this isn't the case and it is something simple.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 03, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech

Oops. Missed it's electric fans.

[This message has been edited by Snatchin'gears (edited 02-08-2003).]
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 03, 01:18 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snatchin'gears:
Oops. Missed it's electric fans.

[This message has been edited by Snatchin'gears (edited 02-08-2003).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SO YOU THINK IT'S the fans arent working properly ? my engine does get hot too easily, mine is a 89' iroc it's a 350 always either at the fwy traffic gets up to 220 or over, and has no grill in the front iwonder if we all customize a front grill on all of our camaros would be a difference??? my friend did, it helped!!!!
try it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 03, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech

A friend had a similar problem, it turned out that there was a pinhole in the rad but it would only open when hot and the pressure was up. It took him a while to find the problem because like you, there was no real clues to follow.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 03, 07:48 PM
Senior Tech

"SO YOU THINK IT'S the fans arent working properly ?"
No I got lamer than that. I was thinking bad clutches in a regular fan but I read right over the simple facts.
Seen the pin hole factor. Look for funny greenish or bluish stuff on radiator body and fins. There's a leak detector kit that works for A/C, radiators and power whatevers. It comes with a black light gun for finding the leaks. Works great. Was around $35 or so at Checkers.
If the radiator fins are kinda crumbly it's probably time to get another one anyway.
Try just flushing with water and let the water drain from the bottom after you get clear water. Then refill personal mix. My personal opinion about the new orange antifreeze stuff is it's lousy. You can't tell when you have a rust or crud problem. Might just be too much garbage in there adding to problems. Heck the overflow resevoir might be leaking.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 03, 01:09 PM

does this engine have the plastic intake?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 03, 03:48 PM
Senior Tech

i think a bad fan relay would trip the engine light. is the light on? another thing may be a bad coolant temperature sensor and the ECM does'nt know when to turn the fan on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode