car stalls all the time and idles rough. - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

I HAVE A 87 IROC-Z,305 V8,TPI,AND A TH-700R4 TRANSMISSION. I TRIED PUTTING IN NEW SENSORS LIKE THE MAF SENSOR, TPS SENSOR, IAC SOLENIOD, CLEANING THE THROTTLE BODY FULLY, PUTTING NEW VACCUM HOSES ON.NOTHING WORKED. MY MECHANIC TRIED ADJUSTING THE TIMING BUT THE CAR STILL STALLED WHEN YOU TRY TO PUT IT IN GEAR REVERSE OR DRIVE.IDLES ROUGH ALSO. THE COMPUTER WAS HOOKED UP TO THE CAR AND THE ONLY THING THAT CAME UP WAS ELECTRONIC SPARK TIMING TROUBLE CODE. BUT NOTHING WOULD WORK! i have a brand new tune up and had the engine cleaned interanlly and fuel system. nothing worked.i even tried dumping the computer or diconnecting wires and reputting them back on or in. nothing worked.

could it be possible that it might be the flywheel is bad or lose or could my torque converter be goin bad and locking up to make the car stall out. the transmission is a fully rebuilt one and does not make sense. but if engine revs too excessive, would it premoturely wear the rebuilt transmission after a short period of time and damage the torque converter. could that make the engine stall out? no matter what i do the engine keeps stallin and its been in the shop for 5 days and my mechanic couldnt find the problem. even thow he has only been in the auto mechanic bussiness for 5 years he honestly said he couldnt find out why the timing was not setting and why the electronic spark timing code kept on coming up on the computer? i now have it at another mechanic that knows very much and is excellent and diagnosis and electrical systems. thats may last resort or could you guys make a final suggestion. i like the car alot and dont want to give up on it but i might have to if i cant get it to run smooth and the right way. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 03:51 PM
Senior Tech
Don

How about trying a new ignition module in the distributor? This would trip that code and stall...

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 02, 06:20 PM

If I am correct it has a remote coil. Had same problem on 87 pickup with same engine setup. Changed coil and fixed problem although coil checked ok.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 02:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

The torque converter could cause these symptoms but only when in gear. If it idles rough in park or neutral then it's something else. This happened to my old Dodge truck, it would idle rough and want to cut off but would smooth out once you got going. It idled great in park. Sounds like you're thinking this might be your problem as well. Maybe take it by a trans. shop and get their opinion if your engine guy can't get it resolved. Good luck.

------------------
Robert Johnson

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
350ci 700r4 3.55 posi
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZZ430DropTop67RS:
How about trying a new ignition module in the distributor? This would trip that code and stall...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
that sounds like a good idea. the only thing is that the distributor cap and rotor are brand new. it is an MSD distributor and it is made for late model camaros with the seperate dual coil HEI SETUP. and i also have the msd blaster dual coil for the replacement gm coil. i dont have the msd box because for some reason when i hooked it up with the box 6a or 6al it idle worse then before. so i sent the both boxes back. MSD said i had to by pass a radial filter or something within the gm harness. dont know what that really meant. maybe you might have an idea? you might be right thow because i dont know if the distributor has a 5 pin module or a 7 pin module? could it be a problem if it is a 7 pin when orginally i suppose to have the 5 pin module?

thank you very much for
your tech help!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jhow66:
If I am correct it has a remote coil. Had same problem on 87 pickup with same engine setup. Changed coil and fixed problem although coil checked ok.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i will try to switch the coil i have on it now. it is thow a msd blaster coil but its just a replacement of the orginial. so i didnt have to modify my igintion.

thanks for your tech help!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 02, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rojo:
The torque converter could cause these symptoms but only when in gear. If it idles rough in park or neutral then it's something else. This happened to my old Dodge truck, it would idle rough and want to cut off but would smooth out once you got going. It idled great in park. Sounds like you're thinking this might be your problem as well. Maybe take it by a trans. shop and get their opinion if your engine guy can't get it resolved. Good luck.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
yes that is true what you are saying that in neutral or park it idles rough but i only do that so i could rev it alittle for it not to stall on me but then when i put it in drive or reverse and im at a stopped light in drive it stalls or reverse it stalls. so it possibly could be the torque converter and also something else along with it. funny thing is that the trans is fully rebuilt with 2 year warranty and it has only been a year so far? i have another year on it. i have a lockup converter so that could be the problem that the engine is stalling. it can run only if you force the car to run but when i do that it makes a bearing noise or pinging noise. could also be flywheel, torque converter like you said, or bad module in the distributor. ill have it looked at see what is wrong.

thank you for your help!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 02, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech

Just a thought, have you had the park/neutral switch checked for proper adjustment?

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode