Hardly starts when engine is warm! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 01, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Fella's

Once my engine reaches cruising temps (180-200) in my Big Block it will hardly start. It acts like the timing is too far out but it isnt. It runs like a scalded dog and when I first start it (cold) it cranks right up! when it warms up it hardly turns over but still runs fine once it does kick over. I have a New battery, new starter and new cable. Any sugestions?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 01, 07:08 PM
XK1
Senior Tech

Hot starter??

------------------
76 Camaro/mild 350 .030/M21/Z28 body parts/lotsa other goodies
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 01, 05:41 AM
Senior Tech

Unhappy

Notorious Chevy Big Block problem..There are no direct cures since it could be many things. I assume your timing is correct..Also, what is the CCA of the battery? You should have at least 750 CCA. The cables must be real good ones. No whimy deals.. Get heavy cables to accept the heavy loads of a hot engine/starter. Lastly, install a heat shield around the starter. Theyre avail aftermarket. If you have headers,insulate the started real well!..That's all I can say. Good luck

-Gary

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 01, 09:43 AM
Senior Tech

The above quotes are good but to be sure it's not over advanced timing pull off coil wire and ground it then crank engine over.If it now spins over normal the timing is too advanced for starting.

[This message has been edited by sschevyfan (edited 12-01-2001).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 01, 07:37 PM

Best way to fix this problem is to put a remote starter sol. on it. Mad makes a kit just for this or make your own.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 01, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Ive found that those mini starters work well. Ive installed two, one on a big block camaro that had a starter noise and one on a big block chevelle that was hard to start when hot. On both the mini starters fixed the problems. The chevelle kept going through starters because the header was to close, even with wrap and heat shield it would heat soak the starter.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 01, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech

what kind of a starter? is it a hi torque one, or a tiny small block one? a big starter might be needed if you have a healthy motor, or an aftermarket mini starter. also, use the biggest cables you can get(or make).i like 00 gauge arc welding cable for battery cables. you'd be amazed what a difference cables can make. how big is the battery? i know i am repeating what others have said, but cover the basics. just taking off and re-connecting the battery cables can make a difference.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode