Gas line bypass - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Not a Camaro question, but I guess it could apply. Have a 65 Chevy 327 that hasn't run in a few years. Turns over fine, but my question is this: Can I route a rubber hose from a gas can to the fuel pump to get it running, rather than filling the gas tank? I don't really want any gas in the tank, if possible, so if I have to drop it to pull/replace the sending unit, I won't have to deal with draining it, or the extra weight it will add to the tank itself.

67 Coupe<br /></font><ul type="square"><li><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ZZ4</font></li><li><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">12 Bolt Posi</font></li><li><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">4-Spd</font></li></ul><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 08:49 AM

You can do that if all you are trying to do is start the engine. You want to make sure that the hose is long enough so that you can place the can a couple of feet from the car. If you are intending to drive the car then the answer is definately NO! Why would you not want to put a little gas in the tank unless you think that it is rusted bad. If so, you need to replace it anyway. A little gas won't make enough weight difference to be concerned with while changing the sending unit.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

No I am not going to drive it. When I bought it, I was tempted, but checked the master cylinder, and found it to be empty, I have not rebuilt the brakes yet, so no it is not going anywhere. I'd rather not put gas in the tank, because I've seen that the small screen on the end of the pickup/sending unit can deteriorate over time and am thinking that may have happened. Don't want to suck any of that into the fuel line trying to start and run the engine. I don't know for a fact that the filter screen on the fuel pickup has indeed fallen apart, but my guess is that it has. I'm trying to assess the mechanical condition of the engine first, then possibly move onto the brakes and fuel tank. The car is in good shape, but has a rusted out frame section that may/maynot be fixable.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 09:55 AM
Guess

Use a metal container to hold the gas and place it on the floor or ground. Ya don't want any static electricity to ruin your testing with a fireball. Ya might wanna ground yourself before touching the can with gas in it.... just like the gas stations say when pumping gas.
[img]smile.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 03, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

What's wrong with a plastic can?? No static electricity problems there.

Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 03, 01:45 AM
Guess

Either way.... just wanted to point out the chance of a flash fire.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 03, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Beg your pardon !!

Plastic gas cans are the largest static electricity containers(?) one can have.

If you've installed a truck bed liner, or know of someone who has one, read the instruction sheet or the imprint on the side of the liner stating to ground the liner to the earth before filling the gas can.

Just my 2 cents.........

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 03, 04:06 AM
Guess

That was my point Everett. I'd use a metal container. It's way too easy to build up static around plastic, hence the reason gas stations have BIG warnings on how to properly fill a plastic container. Hell, all you can buy these days are plastic gas cans practically.
No matter what you use, just be careful.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 03, 04:06 AM
Guess

:sorry.... hit the button twice:

Also, this time of year when the atmosphere is so dry, static could be a problem.

Point made.... good luck 67killerb!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode