voltage question - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 00, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

What is the minimum and maximum voltage the car should be running at?
The more accessories I turn on, the lower the voltage goes, fan on high, head lights etc...

The reason I am asking because I bought a MSD 6a and dont want to install it until I know what voltage it will take.
Thanks

------------------
69 Camaro 1977 350
Shift kit, HEI, holley 600, flowmaster delta flow mufflers
http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/rallyrd/murfys_law
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 00, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech

You should see about 12.5 volts with the engine and all accessories off. It should go to about 14.5 with the engine running. It may take a high idle to get that. Above 15 and below 13.5 with the engine running at high idle are the danger points. Please be sure to measure voltage at the battery. Some voltage drop in the wiring harnesses is normal and can through a voltmeter reading way off.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 00, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

So you are saying to wire up the voltage guage directly to the battery instead of the accessory plug???????

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 00, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech

Not permanently, if you did that your battery would go dead when the car was sitting from the drain of the voltmeter. What I am saying is to not trust the voltage reading from the meter in your instrument cluster as gospel. When checking for electrical problems, the testing should be done from direct battery connections. It is normal to see some voltage drop in the wiring harnesses in your car. You may be seeing a voltmeter reading that is lower than reality when all your accessories are turned on, so for testing purposes, check for proper voltages directly at the battery's terminals.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 00, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech

Agree with Chris on this. Saw a post the other day about running the headlights off a relay using the dash power to switch the relay only. When you start pulling serious current from the dash harness, things sometimes get strange. Consider the early cars had a 37 amp alternator max.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 00, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech

If you are in fact getting 13.8 to 14.2 with every thing off that is ok. If the voltage drops as you add load to it I would check the alt belt.

I don't check the belt tension/tightness,and assume all is ok. To check it,look in the bottom of the vee in the alt pulley.If the pulley is shiney (sp?)in the bottom it is worn out replace the pulley.

Grab hold of the alt pulley and try with much force to make it slip on the belt,if you can slip the pulley by hand it will not pull the load to keep up. Tighten belt or replace belt/pulley,or both.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode