BBC Hot Starting Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 02, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

My 454 starts fine when cold (fires right off) but after running it up to temperature and then shutting it off, it cranks fine when trying to restart but takes a while to fire (at least 5 seconds of cranking, which seems like forever when you are out in the middle of South Dakota). Have the Edlebrock Carb/intake/cam Performer setup with stock fuel pump. Fuel pressure runs about 4 psi (even with fuel return line). The engine runs down the road at 190F coolant temp with the AC on. What is going on...is the residual heat from the motor boiling the fuel in the carb when shut off? Anyone had this problem and solved it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 02, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech

hey,did you block the exhaust cross over when installing intake??? this will make intake very hot(as hot as exhaust) and could be giving you your problem, also check to make sure idle screws are adjusted properly, start with them 2 turns out from lightly seates(thats if it is edelbrock, 1.5 turns out if holley) and that is a baseline, then turn in or out for best idle and most vaccuum, goodluck
jake

------------------
1968 Camaro convertible, 454,th400,3500 stall,8.5 10 bolt,3.90 gears
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 02, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I didn't build the engine, so I don't know for sure about the crossover....I'll ask my engine builder though....and I'll check the idle screws....thanks....Scott

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 02, 01:53 AM
Senior Tech

Scott,

I think you are on to the problem when you ask about heat build up. Yes the engine does go through a heat build up before cool down. You said it starts right back up unless it sets for a few. The fuel we are getting is not what it used to be so yes it boils quicker.

You can't lower the float level because it will starve under hard throttle. Here is the fix though, get a spacer gasket with the insulator peace around the bolt holes. This gasket will be more than 1/4" thick. I think the same gasket that fits Holley will also fit your carb. Most any parts store that has any little high perf section should have a little kit with the gasket, studs, washers, and nuts all in the same pack.

Even if the cross over is not blocked off this will help or totally fix your problem.

Larry
www.lnjstreetrods.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 02, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech
Cameron

I'm having a very similar problem with my car. I have a 400sb with Trick Flow heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and a 750 Holley with vacuum secondaries. It starts fine when its cold and just after I shut it off. If I let is sit when its hot, it is difficult to start. I have a 1/4"
insulator plate under the carb and I think that I left the crossover ports open. I have been thinking of making a spacer out of hard wood. Will that do fix the problem or do I need to invest in some sort of heat shield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode