Torque Converter/Flywheel problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

I've got a 84 Z28 with a rebuilt(new) 350 in it. The engine only has about 100 miles on it. When I start the car, there is a squeaking & clanking noise down in the flywheel area. No, it's not a bearing, I went under the car with a stethascope and tried to isolater the problem, but no luck. I cheaked the torque converter bolts - all tight, I know the flywheel bolts are tight, the person that built me engine & myself torqued them down. If you look at the flywheel/TC assembly when it's running with the cover off it looks like it is wobbling, like its out of balance or something. The reciprocating assy in the engine was balanced. When I put the car in gear, the noise stops until I start moving. This thing has got me confused. I'd appreciate any help you could give my. Thanks alot!

--Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 08:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

It sounds like a cracked flexplate.....VERY common. If not it's probably in the front pump assembly of the trans (not good).

Unfortunately you have to un-bolt the trans/converter to replace. You usually have to do the above to see if it is cracked also.

Double-check your starter to ring gear clearance, dust cover, etc. to make sure it's not something simple first. This JUST happened to a buddy; the trans shop thought it was the flexplate as they do so many replacements. In his case it was the trans itself. His wobbled too.

Good luck!
Jody

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 02-24-2001).]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds to me like your torque converter is going bad. They make squeaking and clanking noises when they wear out. The fact that the noise goes away when you put it in gear supports this theory as well. However, this doesn't explain the "wobbling" flexplate.....

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 09:14 AM

Does your torque converter use a bolt and nut like stock units? I had problems with a tci that only used bolts ,I added another washer and the noise stopped.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 09:34 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
when you installed the flywheel did you go in a circle ir across like when changing a tire.... criss cross is the proper way.and torque at 3 settings, going in stages.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 02:31 PM
Bill

Nick,
Did you have the converter out when you did the motor swap ? If so you might not have installed it all the way into the trans when you put it back in. If you unbolt the converter from the flywheel, you should be able to pull it back away from the flywheel about 1/4 inch, or at least far enough so that it will turn without hitting the flywheel. If you cannot pull it away from the flywheel, then it is not properly installed into the front of the trans, and has probably already done damage to the front pump. either way, it sounds liek the trans is going to have to come out to solve the problem.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode