Battery is discharging - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The battery in my 69 is discharging while the car is sitting. I sometimes don't start it up but once every two or three weeks and always have a dead battery. With the car running the battery voltage reads close to 14 volts so I know that charging system is working alright.

Does anyone have any tips on how to trouble shoot this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 04:40 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

You could try taking out one fuse at a time to see which circut is drawing the battery. It might take a while if it is a slow drain, but you will know where to start looking for the trouble. Good luck. Rhat
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 02:32 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
KRHat has a good idea. but could be quicker if you use a test light to see the short.... might work ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the tips guys...
AS it turns out, my kids must have been fooling around and turned the courtesy light on at the head light switch. Because it is a convertible it is hard to see if it is on if you aren't looking for it or if the garage isn't dark. Found it last night. I hope that is all that it is 'cause I can always replace the kids...

8&gt
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 03, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech

Hehehe no you don't have to replace the kids. Just nurture the new and young camaro enthusiest right and in a very short while as time flys you'll have camaro parts for every occation as gifts. What ever you don't punish them or they'll be saying F that subject mixed with him Actually I'd figure taking them thru all the controls with warnings a information on when you'll be teaching them to drive would help keeping them from taking their new information too far like down the driveway across the neighbors lawn and into their livingroom. My dad wold let us kids sit on his lap once in a while to steer the car. It was cool.
Anyway lots of times the leak between battery cells is left out as a trouble shooting. Good luck.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 03, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I don't know...
The boy (8) already wants to know how to drive a stick as I just got a truck with one and he is itching to drive it...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 03, 02:35 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Thank goodness it was just the kids and not melted wires or some other electrical catastrophy. Think of how good it feels to be able to solve an electrical problem with out having to tear something apart. Rhat
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 03, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Jasper. Have you kept track of the gas level and milage lately. Make sure you give the kid the smarts on not swinging his steerung arm while changing gears. I'd give him a go at changing gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode