78'chevy truck is running badly - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

my problem is now my 78'chevy truck with a 350 is running badly. it all started when i removed my HEI distributor to see if it would make my camaros engine because it was missing at idle, so anyways i put my trucks distributor back in and i fired it up and and try to set it at 8 degrees. but the engine ran rough and some time would die,so i thought i had a vacuum leak i thought it was the intake manifold gasket, so i replaced it. also when i had the carb off i cleaned it up since i had it off. i put every thing back in place and tryed to fire the engine up and i set the timing once again at 8 degrees still it wanted to run really rough,so i thought it was maybe the spark plugs sinc i have not changed them since almost 2 years ago so i put some new plugs and a new ditributor cap and rotor since it looked worned out, and also i put some WD40 one the advance weights ,becaus they look a little rusty i moved them around to see if they where stuck and worked some more WD40 in so free the advance weight up. i put all the parts togeter and still the engine runs rough, it sound like a tractor or a diesel. when i advance it by alot , it will sound like it should and runs smoother, but i know it should not be that advance at idle.

now I'm out of ideas any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 01:59 PM

If the truck ran good before you pulled the dist. and bad after you put the dist. back in, my first thought would be that the distributor shaft is rotated a tooth or two off of it's original orientation. Maybe you just need to pull and reinstall.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 02:05 PM

If the truck ran good before you pulled the dist. and bad after you put it back in, my first thought would be that the distributor shaft is off a tooth or two from it's original orientation. Maybe you just need to pull and reinstall.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 05:38 PM

How did you "clean" carb?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

i cleaned the carb with some carb cleaner the kind in a spray can.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 08:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I know you have probably checked this but, are you sure it's not 180 off?
I would bring #1 to TDC (FIRING - not intake stroke) and reset dist to the #1 rotor to dist. terminal location.
If this is the original dist. for the truck and you feel around the back of the manifold and the base ring on the bottom of the dist. where it touches the manifold you will feel a little slot - that is the factory timing mark. You can set it so the marks line up and the timing will be the same as from the factory originally.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 05:58 PM
David Pozzi

Make sure the weights are not on backwards, if you had them off...
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode