95 camaro will not start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
rlk

I have good fuel pressure and fire. All it will do is crank. It acts like it is flooded. I got it to start with the gas pedal all the way down, as soon as I let off it died, will not start again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 09:30 AM
Tech Team

Maybe your TPS(throttle position sensor?)
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 10:44 AM

How much fuel pressure do you have? Does the system hold pressure after you turn off the key? Have you checked for trouble codes?

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
rlk

I changeed the TPS
Got 41 psi it holds for awhile.
Had a guy come check the codes and he could not communiate with the computer. So no codes. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 71 RAT:
How much fuel pressure do you have? Does the system hold pressure after you turn off the key? Have you checked for trouble codes?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 11:52 AM
Tech Team

i would get that computer looked at and take it to someone and have them try
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 01:54 PM

I would have someone with a scan tool re-check for codes and data. If it still won't communicate, start checking fuses. Does the check engine light work?
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
rlk

Yes the check engine light is on when I try to start it. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 71 RAT:
I would have someone with a scan tool re-check for codes and data. If it still won't communicate, start checking fuses. Does the check engine light work?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 02, 10:45 AM
msb

Yes, do get a second opinion on the computer not communicating. The check engine lite coming on is a good sign.

You by any chance don't have one of those high performance chips that go inline with the PCM connectors? I've seen those take a dump and cause no starts. If your answer is yes, take it out of the system and plug the factory connector straight to the computer.

Did you check for spark at the coil or at the plugs? Check it at the plugs if you didn't.

Also use the long screw driver to the ear trick to listen for injectors clicking while someone cranks the engine over. If you hear them click that means the computer is atleast trying.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
rlk

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by msb:
Yes, do get a second opinion on the computer not communicating. The check engine lite coming on is a good sign.

You by any chance don't have one of those high performance chips that go inline with the PCM connectors? I've seen those take a dump and cause no starts. If your answer is yes, take it out of the system and plug the factory connector straight to the computer.

Did you check for spark at the coil or at the plugs? Check it at the plugs if you didn't.

Also use the long screw driver to the ear trick to listen for injectors clicking while someone cranks the engine over. If you hear them click that means the computer is atleast trying.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know about the chip. However i got another guage to check the fuel pressure. It went up to 41 and went back down real fast. I pinched off the return and it still did it. I checked the injectors and could hear them all.
Yes I checked spark at the coil and the plugs and have it at both places.
I am thinking possibly fuel regulator or leaking injector. What does any body else think?
Thanks for all the replies.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 08:58 AM
msb

Pull the vac line off the regulator. If any fuel comes out it's bad. A gusher here would cause your problem, but even if it's just wet it needs replacing.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
rlk

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by msb:
Pull the vac line off the regulator. If any fuel comes out it's bad. A gusher here would cause your problem, but even if it's just wet it needs replacing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I checked and nothing comes out the vacuum line plus it don't look at all wet.

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech

Have you by any chance done anything with your fuel cap. The other thing that I'm thinking is the pulsator leaking at the fuel pump or the fuel pump is starting to go bad. Might also want to check the lines going to the fuel vapor relief valve and the fuel tank vent valve located at l/h forward side of the fuel tank.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
rlk

Have not done anything with the cap. Will look at the things you suggest. One other thing, after I check the pressure at the rail....it bleeds down. I checked the gas cap and there is still alot of pressure there when I open it. Is This normal if I am loosing pressure up front? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trickster:
Have you by any chance done anything with your fuel cap. The other thing that I'm thinking is the pulsator leaking at the fuel pump or the fuel pump is starting to go bad. Might also want to check the lines going to the fuel vapor relief valve and the fuel tank vent valve located at l/h forward side of the fuel tank.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
rlk

Here is alittle history of the problem.
Car had no power and ran bad.
Changed plugs and it got alot better.
Heard rattling under car, the cat was in pieces. Got all of the stuff out and the car ran even better.
Went out to start car..it ran but when came back out it was dead. It has not started since.
Changed the fuel filter..it was almost plugged up totally.
Car still would not start.
Drained all the gas out.put new in, still no start.
Used that gas in garden tiller and the tiller would not start. Funny I thought maybe bad gas.
Put on a new TP sensor and still nothing. I have posted the things on the fuel pressure, and no codes.
I don't understand why all of a sudden it will not start.
Thanks for all the replies!
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

After reading your last post, It sounds like one or two things and I don't think you are going to be exactly thrilled with them. One is the pulsator leaking that I mentioned in my last post. The second one is the sock on the fuel pump being totally clogged up with debris inside the tank. To correct these problems you will have to pull the fuel tank. That is a fun job in itself, I have had to do it three times myself. You also mentioned in your next to last post about pressure build up in your tank after testing your fuel pressure. you will have some pressure in your tank. What you are reading in the fuel rail is the fluid pressure in the lines created by the operation of the fuel pump. Also, are you getting the smell of raw gas in your engine compartment or anywhere else around your car?

The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode