nearly givin up on identity of this motor - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I posted twice about finding what year the motor is in my Camaro I got it off someone who thinks it's old . But the only reason I took it it was free and he had the cam and timing chain done. I'm sure i need to do the rear seal. Thats why I trying to identify it.
I have looked on the top of timing chain on block ther are no numbers.On the block behind distributor all it says is 5.0 L which is 305. On the othe side of block it says M010203.Also found the numbers 14057055 GM K9 But I guess I will have to look under the heads.. Anyway thanks.. all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech

There's a pad on block deck right in front of the passenger's side cylinder head. The engine serial number as well as the engine code will be there. If you post just those numbers and letters I'm sure someone can help you identify it.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 07:28 PM
Senior Tech

probably not older than the mid 80's if it has "5.0 L" cast into it. that, too me, isn't "old". if the rear seal is leaking, you need one of two different seals- 85 and earlier 2 piece seal, or the 86 and newer one piece seal. if it is the newer one piece, it will be held in by an aluminum retainer that bolts to the back of the block. this can be seen if the engine is installed by looking between the engine and tranny. if older style 2 piece, it will be in the rear main cap, behind the rear most bearing.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 05:24 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Your not going to get much help identifying an engine by providing an Intake Manifold casting number. The 14057055 is an intake casting number. They were used on late 80's Target motors, amongst god knows what else. An 8 digit casting number on the block beginning in 100 indicates a Target motor.

Get the casting numbers off the top of the block right where the bellhousing bolts up just behind the heads. There is a flat area about 1 1/2" wide behind each head. They are usually there. They may be buried oned grime if the engine isn't clean. If they aren't there check under the block by the motor mount bosses.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 10-08-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode