I have a 97 Z28 and my upper radiator hose just blew and coolant is everywhere. it hit my distributor and plug wires. i've replaced the hose, but now the car won't start. has this happened to anyone? I am going to try to dry everything out tonight, but i tried starting it while everything was wet last night. do you think this could have damaged anything? thanks.
There is no distributor on a '97 LT1 engine. The plugs are fired by a device called an "opti-spark" that is mounted under the water pump. Older versions of the opti were a glass jaw of sorts for the LT1. '96 and '97 got a bit of a redesign that made them less suseptable to water damage. It's a likely source of the problem but I would make sure everything in the area is connected properly before writing the opti off as the problem. Seems you can't do too much on a 4th gen without unpluging something.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Thanks for your help guys. I checked the optispark and the plug wires last night. the optispark was not wet. it was kind of dirty, but I don't think coolant got in there. the plug wires on the left side were wet, but I dried them and when I pulled them from the optispark, there was no moisture inside the connection.
Here is my issue now: At first, the engine cranked, but did not turn over. Now all I hear when I turn the key is fast paced clicking. All of the accessories work with full power. I am wondering if it may just be my luck that my starter went up at the same time as my hose? I tried tapping the starter, but the car still wouldn't start. It actually cranked a little bit after I hit it, but then it just went back to clicking. Do you think that this sounds more like the starter than the optispark? Thanks for all of your help guys.
If coolant sprayed, you may have gotten coolant on/behind battery terminals interfering with the connections. Make sure that connections are clean and dry and that battery has a full charge. Do this before pulling the starter ...
I'd bet some antifreeze mixed with road grime mixed to make your conductor. weather it fried anything shorting, who knows. Since the antifreeze is less prone to evaporate it might seem like it isn't water causing the problem and the fluids might of helped contaminats seep into connections.
The worst not really liked idea is head exhaust gas caused the preasure that blew the hose.
Had a Camry that would trip the ac off when heavy water would trip something fording areas. Maybe something like that is happening. Maybe a relay or fuze fried some place.
What ever type of coil system it has, make sure it is cleaned up and not getting a chance to ground out the high voltage. High voltages take advantage of any contaminants to short out.
At first, the engine cranked, but did not turn over. Now all I hear when I turn the key is fast paced clicking.
If this is in fact the sympoms you are tracing down, see my response about low voltage etc. But I wanted to add this. Is there any chance you got water in a cylinder and hydro-locked the motor? Did the hose blow off becuase of a blown head gasket? If you think it might have, pull the plugs and crank it over to see if water blows out of any cylinder.
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Thanks for all of your help. Turns out that it was just the battery. took it to advance and they tested/charged it for me. Seems like it was just a coincidence that both the hose and battery went up around the same time.