ENGINE OVERHEATING PLEASE HELP - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Hey I have a 86 z28 305 all stock camaro. It has been overheating the past 2 days and I was full of coolant one day checked it the next and tank was all dry. So I put some water in and ran ok. Was coming home today and pulled into neighborhood and only when i stepped on the gas i would hear a noise like something was dragging and a loss of power. Noticed smoke coming from hood and shut off rolled into the culdesac popped the hood crack in radiator and antifreeze everywhere. waited for engine to cool off then it started up so i could pull into the driveway but can anybody tell me what to do now and is my engine toast or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 02, 05:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Maybe not - them Chevy's is as tough as nails. See if there is any coolant in oil?
Fix the rad. problem and run it but, keep checking for coolant in oil (or visy versa) for the next couple hundred miles and be ready for head gaskets if it really cooked.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 02, 05:13 PM

Make sure the electric fans are operating. They should always be on when the A/C is on, so if you have A/C turn it on and see if fans are operating. If not, could be fan motor(s), connections or fuses.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 02, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Replace or repair that radiator like Vintage 68 said. I just put a brand new radiator in my 84 Z28, the original was looking ratty. It runs nice and cool now....190 degrees unless I hit traffic. Make sure the water pump is good, and the electric fan is working. Has it been using anti freeze for a while? May be a head gasket...what do the plugs look like?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 02:47 AM

In the software game, "NASCAR 4" I just take some tape off the front grill. Works great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode