84 CAMARO THUMPS BETWEEN 1st AND 2nd GEAR. - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 17th, 02, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
CZ

I have an 84 Camaro, 305, with wide-tires and when you get on the gas from a standing start, there's a loud thump coming out of the passenger side rear, like the tire hit a bump in the road, when it shifts into 2nd or turning. I just changed the U joints and the transmission mount looks ok. It has the trailing arm type rearend. Any ideas appreciated.

[This message has been edited by CZ (edited 05-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by CZ (edited 05-18-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 18th, 02, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech

check your axle bearing, shock mount etc. but it sounds like a torque arm bushing
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 18th, 02, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
CZ

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of endplay in the axles, checked it a couple of times. I have new shocks on the rear, the mounts seem fine, they came with new mounting studs to replace the original ones where they mount at the axle. I'll check out the torque arm bushings. To tell the truth, until you mentioned it, I thought it was just a guard for the driveshaft, never had a car with one before. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by CZ (edited 05-18-2002).]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 02, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech

then thats probably your problem when you look at it have the car safely on jack stands let the rear axle drop free (stands on frame) and grab the torque bar and pull up and down if just looking at it doesnt reveal the damage. if your a led foot dont replace it witha stock one it wont last long get on from jegs or summit jegs part#355-3-111G if the lip of the torque bar faces away from the driveshaft 1112Gif it faces toward it. this is a one piece poly mount which will increase your traction an last longer. it will involve dropping the crossmemeber and letting the tranny drop down (use a jack to support it) then have a friend carefully pry the tranny down so you can remove the bolts that hold the mounting brace to the tranny. then using a drill or cut off wheel cut out the rivits that hold the old mounts in place (both sides) the rest is easy lube the lips of the bar install the bushing and the one side of brace clamp it in place and replace all the bolts. good luck

------------------
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
CZ

I checked the torque arm, it was good and tight, no play either end and the bushings looked good. I tried a pry bar on the transmission mount this time, turned out to be the problem. I switched it out, no more noise. The noise seemed like it was coming from the the rear axle or tire. I looked at the transmission mount before, but never pried on it. Thanks for all the advice, I never had a clue as to what the torque arm did, so it was educational anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode