HEADLIGHTS - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 00, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Question

I HAVE A 67 RS SS CAMARO WITH HIDEAWAY HEADLIGHTS. RECENTLY THEY QUIT WORKING. THEY APPEAR TO BE MOTOR OPERATED ON EACH HEADLIGHT. HOW DO I GET THEM REPAIRED?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 00, 05:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Cordray, the headlight doors do have motors. They are electric. First check your relays, they are mounted on drivers side, hidden under upper portion of fender. Check for power ect. (I'm no electrical whiz). Did both doors quit working? Or did lights quit too? If your door motors are stock they have plastic gears inside. They will fail quickly if doors are not adjusted properly, hanging up on bezel. I've heard that, if limit switches fail to cut power to motor after door has stopped that will either strip gears or burn up motor. I have no experience with that situation. I did have to purchase 2 new motors for my RS and they weren't cheap. I paid $110.00 apiece from classic industries. They are built with steel gearing now instead of plastic, much better. Hope some of this info helps.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 00, 06:02 PM
David Pozzi

There is a circut breaker (self resetting) attached to the relay panel. Make shure power is getting thru it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 00, 02:48 AM
Senior Tech

another thing that I ran into with mine is this, remove the little contact switches and either clean or replace them, replace all the breaker relays, sometimes they dont unstick... they are 2.49 each at pep boys or any automotive store, (ill get the part # and repost it) they are located near the light assembly near the voltage regulater inside behind the washer bottle. it this isnt it, remove the light assy. remove the headlight Bezel on whatever side it is. and remove the (4) screws holding the light assembly in , manually open the cover so you can slide the entire assembly out without damaging the grill. there will be 4 plugs, 1 on the light, 1 upper and 1 lower limiter switch plug and the motor plug.

inspect the motor, run a hot wire from the battery and see if it works. some aftermarket moters have fuses on the side of the motor near the plug. mine was blown, I still have to relocate that fuse so I dont have to remove the entire assy. every time a fuse breaks..

If your lights are old and have never been reconditioned with new bolts and bushings etc.. take some Blue permatex gasket sealant and plop a little dab where the limit switch hits the lense cover and let it sit overnight to cure, this makes a little "bumper" for the switch , sometimes the lights just dont make it to the switch , and blow the relay, or worse eat the gears up and burn out the motor... after all is back together, put some penetrating oil on the hinges and they will open easier...

have fun!, they sure do look cool when they work...

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 03-30-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode