Hurst Comp + - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 03, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

I have a muncie trans(dont know which 1) with a Hurst Competition plus shifter. My problem is the throw from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th is so long it engages the console, can it be adjusted for a shorter pattern or do I need something like a hurst super shifter??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 03, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech

You need to get shift levers for the tranny with linkage rod holes closer to the pivot point. Some of these levers already have two sets of holes in them.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 03, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech

I'd think if you move closer to the pivot point with the linkage on the shifter end the linkage movement would be less leading to not making the shift pattern required for getting into the gears. I think that model might have adjustments for range of throw with the shifter. If so you could always try adjusting to stop the contact and still be solidly in gear.
While you are looking at the car check the engine and any trans mounts. Maybe the trans is lower than it should be.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 03, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If you actualy have a 69 Camaro only Competition plus shifter and the correct 69 Camaro only GM factory mounting bracket (or the new 2 piece Hurst setup) and the correct tranny tailhousing casting number and the 3 correct for Camaro levers on the tranny, it should fit fine. The Chevelle(etc) pieces will cause this problem. The tranny levers are a different length and the shifter throws are different for other cars. You need the right parts especialy if you want to install it in a console equipped car.

-Mark.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 03, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Stinger69,
The shifter is already in, it was in when I bought the car, and bumps the cosole.How do I identify if the correct pieces are used??But it does seem to make sense that the levers are wrong. Had culture shock when I priced Hurst shifters and install kits!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 03, 10:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

paperman:

go to this website:
http://www.mrgasket.com/hurstmain.html

Download the catalogs for the shifters and replacement parts. Hurst is very good about stamping all of their parts with numbers.

Look up the parts that should be in the installation kit for your car and compare the numbers to the parts that are on the car.

You can order individual pieces from Summit or Jegs to replace the stuff that's wrong.

I had the same problem fitting a Nova shifter into my '68. It cost me about $40 to buy all the correct install bits.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 03, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks PDQ I'll check that out!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 03, 10:32 AM

Also make sure your gearbox is a 69 & not a later one if ordering levers for a 69, the later ones attached slightly differently. Bolts rather than nuts so had slightly larger holes, if I remember correctly.

------------------
Another red SS clone but I'm in the UK & most people think it's a mustang. http:community.webshots.com/user/tpd67
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 03, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech

hey paperman1 you did't say if the shifter hits the side of the consule or the frontand/or rear of the consule.if it hits just the front or just the rear, you can rotate the shifter body forward or rearward to give it a gap at whichever end is needed. there is a bolt on the shifter body to do this adjustment. download the install instructions from hurst and re-check all settings on rods, levers etc.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 03, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

oramac68,
It contacts both the front and back of console, like your backwards name!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode