weird steering - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 99, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Along with my brake problem and ever since I diconnected my power steering box to rebuild my motor, the steering has been choppy and eratic ever since. I put in a rebuild pump and that seemed to help a bit. I am still having the problem of it being tight as I am turning, then sloshing free, then going back to being tight again. Is this a gear box problem caused when air and new fluid entered the system. Oh, I did bleed it correctly and checked both lines for any obstructions, there wer none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 99, 02:27 PM

Power steering systems are basically self bleeding, so if you have the fluid level up where it should be, this should not be the problem.
Check the power steering belt for correct tightness, and if in doubt, replace it. I have seen belts that are just a tad too loose do this with no hint of squealing or any other indication.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 99, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the return Gary, but I failed to include one symptom. The tightness that I encounter happens only when I turn the wheel at 45 degree angles. This happens when I turn it either way and then releases after that point. I will try the belt. Thanks again

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 99, 01:58 PM

Dino,

Check out the rag joint while you're at it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 99, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

I think I fixed it guys. I tighten the belt and straightened a small bend in the pressure line. It turns 100% better. I guess it's the little things. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode