Sticky Situation - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 03, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Just wanted to give you guys an update on my Z and the idling problem. Many of you may remember I had several posts on my Z under, 302 idling. I really appreciate all the help. Well, I got fed up with the Z and took it to a shop that some local camaro club friends recomended. It seems that 4 valves were sticking, causing a compression loss??? I'm not sure of the details yet, I haven't talked to the shop owner to get the full report. He claims it idles great now and runs completetly different. I haven't drove it yet, I'm waiting for the rain to stop and roads to dry before I go and get it. So far these guys seem great. They're keeping the Z inside out of the weather till I can pick it up. They've been really good and reasonably priced for the quality in work. I'll keep you guys posted on the status. Thanks again.

Mr.G

------------------
Jess - Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
69 Z/28 Lemans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 03, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech

what causes the valves to stick?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 03, 08:54 AM

I was beginning to wonder if you had given up. I mean, after the car wouldn´t run right, the problems with the garage, etc. Glad to see that you are making progress.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BT 12 bolt, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers, 15X7 Ralleys

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 03, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech

if the intake valve was stuck open, the piston would strike the valve(if clearance is limited). if not, it would blow all of the air out on the compression stroke and probably backfire out of the carb. what did they have to fix?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 03, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Going to pick the Z up tomorrow morning. I've been really busy at work, our 9000 H.P. motor fried thursday. Was elbows and a$$&*^% into this thing. I haven't driven the Z yet, but Maze, the mech, claims it's a different car. I'll get the details an post as soon as I can. I just really hope it's fixed. Thanks again for all the help.

Mr.G.

------------------
Jess - Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
69 Z/28 Lemans Blue
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 03, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech

busy at work with a 9000 hp engine?!?!?! lets trade jobs! yes, ask the guy what all he fixed because i'm curious as to what would make the valves stick.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 03, 04:10 PM
Z28 Mark @home

So Jess…. I guess you’re finished with the compression gage set. Please shoot me an e-mail and let me know. May be I’ll see you at Jeff’s trany install party this weekend?
Mark (A.K.A. Z28 Mark)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 03, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech

Any Idea what caused the valves to stick???

John
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 03, 05:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

I wonder if the term sticky means not completely sealing against the seats. In the origial post, I strongly suggested to examine the vaccume characteristics. If valves were leaky, they would have been diagnosed via the vaccume characeristics. In all, i 'm glad you got it to idle, sounds like a valve job is warranted.
joe c
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 03, 06:57 AM
Senior Tech

Ive run into this in marine engine repair, when fuel gets old it varnishes up, the engine gets hot, the intake sticks open. caused by varnish deposits on the stem - guide... I've been on the edge of my seat on this one for weeks....

C'mon... what gives, (gave)

" "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode