OVERHEATING - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I have a 86 camaro: V8 5.0 305.
The car is running very hot!
When the car is idling temp is a 240-250 degrees driving on the freeway 190-210.
Fans do not come on untill 245 degrees and off at 230 degrees.

what is the problem?(ANY SWITCH OR SENDER OR THERMOSTAT?) does anyone know?
thanx for all the help!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

I had the same problem in my 90 RS and it was the temp relay that told the fans when to come on. You have 1 of 3 choises 1.bypass that realy and rig up a switch inside the car so u can turn it on when u want and it will run all the time.(this is what i did) @. pull ur thermostat and not one at all so u get good water flow all the time. 3 take it to a repair shop and have them fix it. Personaly I liked the switch option myelf cause it gve me more controll over what was going on in the engine bay. Hope this helps.

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 10 bolt 2.73 any more questions ask
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 01, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Most factory fans will turn on between 225-235*.Sounds like your gauge is inaccurate.Usually the primary fan is turned on by the computer.(thru a relay) The secondary fan is usually turned on by a temp switch in the right cyl. head.(grounds a relay)The primary fan usually turns off at 205.I would check the temp manually,or use another gauge.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 13th, 01, 07:58 PM
Z28 Mark @home

Thumbs up

I heard a different story on the fans on 3rd gens, I have an 88 IROC w/ the 5.7 liter that runs hot also. The secondary fan only runs when the air conditioning is running. I too plan on putting in a switch to control the 2nd fan like 69 Camaro Racer suggested. Also I think that you should take a look at the condition of your radiator and see if could use some servicing (I know that mine could) and just some good, new anti- freeze. Iím also having a problem with the car starting after it get heated / warmed up. There is a starter solenoid remote mounting (using a Ford type solenoid mounted away from the heat of the exhaust) and miner rewiring that will cure this; or getting some type of shield for heat to place around the starter / solenoid.
Itís all heat related.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 02:13 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

My first question would be, what kind of TEMP guage do you have? Are you sure it's accurate? Also, how old is the radiator? I have an 84 Z28, 305 HO. The firstthing I did was put mechanical TEMP and OIL guages in. The radiaitor looked ratty so I put a new one in. the four row heavy duty type, all metal, no plastic tanks. My car runs at 190 ont eh highway, and will jump to 230 in under a minute of stop and go traffic. The fan kicks on at 230, or, if you put the A/C switch to any air conditioning setting, the fan will come on. If I get stuck in traffic, I just do the A/C switch trick to pull some heat off. I think these motors are meant to run at 200 to 225.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech

There is a simple kit available that will kick both fans on at lower temps...I just dont remeber who makes it. A co-worker with an 85 TPI 350 vette did this to his car becasue it ran up around 230 in the summer...I check with him in the AM and see if he remembers where he got it.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 05:13 PM
Z28 Mark @home

Thumbs up

Travis,
Please do so. Try and get as much info as you can, I would be interested in this set-up.
Thanks.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 01, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

I had a 85 vette,the fan didn't even turn on till 236*,seemed to be fine though,even in traffic in Phoenix.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 15th, 01, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Question

I have no a/c and only one fan.
new radiator,new anti-freeze and new coolant fan swich and still have problem.
THANKS GUYS! FOR ANY HELP.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 02:35 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Was the new radiator a four row heavy duty? Or two row with plastic side tanks? Also, how old is the water pump?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 04:31 PM

Lightbulb

make sure the fan switch you replaced is the one that controls the fan and not sender for gauge/light it should be 2 pin black and yellow wires i beleive , also did you check the fan relay?

[This message has been edited by the mechanic (edited 05-16-2001).]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

How to check the water pump?
and how to check the fan relay?
-----
-----
The fan switch I replaced is the one that controls the fan.
-----
I have radiator a four row heavy duty.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 07:19 PM

Lightbulb

sorry misread your post,if the fans working you dont have problem with relay,i also think your waterpump is fine,check temp with another gauge as mentiond before,250 degrees is extremly hot i find it hard to beleive that its actualy running that hot.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 07:46 PM
Tech Team

You can get a low temp fan switch that will automaticly turn the fan on at 176 and off at 166 part # from jegs mail order 533-4026.
Its $42.99
Or you can get one that turns on at 200 and off at 185 part #533-4028. same price.
I got the first one for my 88 350 TPI I had.
It worked great
And sure beats haveing to flip a switch to work
Two things you may want to check though.
(1) make sure you still have the plastic air dam under the car. (the part that scrubs on every little bumb in the road)
(2) Make sure the radiator is clean and dosent have a bunch of bugs,mud,etc in the cooling fins. Same goes for the ac condenser.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 01, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Wink

may be you right-that gauge is inaccurate.
I`ll try to find out with another temp gauge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode