"Service Engine Soon" warning light - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 00, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Question

The "Service Engine Soon" warning light came on for no apparent reason.

I'm new to this arena.

What must I do to view and interpret the diagnostic codes on this car? It's a 6 cyl 97 RS with less than 25K miles on it.

Thanks for any help,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 00, 12:57 PM

This might sound stupid, but I had the light come on in my 98 s-10 and it was because my gas cap was not on right. I went to the dealer and told them that the check engine light came on and he went stright to the gas cap and fixed it. I felt like a girl
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 00, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
David

Cool

it's really not so stupid, i am a service advisor at a chevy dealership, i see this almost everyday. gas cap loose,not tight enough, or on crooked, anything that would make it not seal will make the ses light come on. part of the obd2 diagnostics, way too sensative if you ask me. I do not believe there is a way to retrieve codes from an obd2 system using a jumper wire on the aldl like you used to could do. If it's not you're cap then i would advise going to a dealer. i have seen way too many people waste their money(sometimes hundreds) trying to fix it in the driveway, only to end up at the dealership to get it fixed

------------------
67 RS
355, SUPER T10 4 SPD
9" FORD

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 01:32 PM
Senior Tech

Yep, "No user serviceable parts inside" as they say. One thing to try sometimes helps is to unhook the ground cable on the battery for a minute and see if it will clear the code. Could have been an intermittent fault. A spark plug misfire can set the light. Pretty touchy computers these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode