Alright...pretty much a stock 350 /w a 268H comp cams 268H and a Edelbrock Performer Aluminum manifold. I took the Q-jet off of a 400, it ran fine atop the 400. The 350 is new...about 40 minutes of running in the garage and around the block. This is my first motor so it's probably a vacuum leak somewhere that I can't find.
My trouble is that I know nothing about tuning a carb. I can't get the thing to idle in the idle circuit. 1100 is about the best I can do and I still have to double foot the brake/accelerator to keep it idling around 800 or so. I haven't even messed with the mixture screws yet cause I know nothing will happen until I get the idle circuit to work.
- It pulls right above 10Hg on a manifold vacuum source and is irratic at times.
- There's no in between....it will idle poorly down low and a SLIGHT turn on the idle screw will bump it up to 1200 or so.
- I can get it to idle at 800 if I put a rag over top the primarys to make them smaller. Vacuum leak?? With the rag I can actually put it in gear without it dying, although it still runs pretty rough. Removing the rag, after idle has been lowered to 800, will cause it to die.
- Sprayed carb cleaner in various places, hard to tell if I have a vacuum leak.
- I spray carb cleaner along all the intake edges...it bubbles when it hits the heat from the heads. I hope its not from vacuum leaks. How/where do I look for vacuum leaks?
- I'd look at the plugs...but the motor is so new I doubt they'd tell me anything.
- I've disconnect the vacuum advance and it advanced to about 14degrees at 1000rpm or so...is that too retarded?
- It drives wonderfully around the block off idle.
So...what do you guys think should be my next move? Hope I gave enough details.
Also...what are the torque specs for the 4 carb to manifold bolts?
[This message has been edited by Dan-69rallysport (edited 06-29-2002).]