Problems with drum brakes... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Question

I purchased my camaro about a week ago and I have only drove it home. Well, the other day I got in the car to go somewhere and stepped on the brake and it went to the floor. Today I checked the master cylinder and the rear reservoir was almost empty so I filled it up and bled all 4 wheels until there was no more air and clean fluid was coming out. The Brake pedal was firm again. But when I got in it to drive it the pedal went to the floor and no brakes.

The car has 4 wheel manual drum brakes. I am planning on pulling the brakes apart this weekend but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the possible cause beforehand. I do not see any leaky wheel cylinders. Could the master cylinder be the problem?

It is always questionable when you just buy the car and are unfamiliar with its history. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 07:55 PM
David Pozzi

Is there fluid leaking from the rear of the master cyl?
It might have worn out piston seals in the master cyl, but then it wouldn't work when bled, it might pump up, but if you hold steady pressure on it the pedal would go down.
Peel back the rubber seal on each side of each wheel cyl.
If wet with fluid, or you see crystals inside, it's shot.
Make sure if you buy a new master cyl, that is has a deep hole in the piston rear and is 1" diameter, not the 1 1/8" power brake one.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 01, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech
Tony

Check the floor board inside the car around the hole where the pushrod goes through for the brake pedal to the master cylinder, is it wet? usually that is where the master leaks at which sounds like what you are expierencing. Also check the brake lines at the rear of the car where is connects to the rubber hose above the rear end.

Where at in Tucson do you live? I am from there.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 01, 06:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Based on my experience with that same situation, old wornout master cylinders don't like new thinner brake fluid. As David says if it pumps up but goes down slowly with a light brake pressure applied, I would bet it's the master cyl. Good luck...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Thumbs down

I came to the same conclusion that the master cylinder is out even though I could not see it leaking on the floor board so I pulled it. It was leaking slowly out the back. I put a new master cylinder in and bench bled it. I then bled the whole system but I still do not have any brakes. I have determined that one of my front wheel cylinders is also out because when I bleed the system I continuously get air out of it. My problem now is I live in an apartment and I do not have any place to work on it to pull the wheels. I will have to figure something out.

Hey Tony, I live near the Tucson Mall, Oracle and Wetmore. I graduated from U of A last year. Go cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode